Integrating Technology into Chinese Language Teaching
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Performance Objectives
- 3 Unit One: Use New Technologies Support Language Learning
- 4 Unit Two: Integrating Technology into Chinese Language Teaching--Listening
- 5 Unit Three: Integrating Technology into Chinese Language Teaching--Speaking
- 6 Unit Four: Integrating Technology into Chinese Language Teaching--Reading
- 7 Reflective
- 8 References
Language classrooms have always used technologies of various kinds, in recent decades, there has been an explosion in the resources available to teachers, to the point where many feel overwhelmed.( Kervin, L. & Derewianka, B. 2011) This mini-course does not attempt to provide a comprehensive view of the technologies, because the rapid change of its development will easily make the resources out of date and meaningless. Rather, this mini-course, teachers need to know that we are seeking for the practical and useful input borrowed from these electronic learning materials to support and improve students’ learning process.
Blake (2008) describes the successful technology-enhanced Foreign language curriculum as students-centered, carefully planned, technically well supported, and most importantly, pedagogically well constructed. In learning Foreign language there are always for main aspects, Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing, it is a common sense that if a learner can use what he/she learned (daily communication) it will largely increase the learner’s motivation. So according these four aspects, this mini course will introduce some technologies which can be integrated in Chinese teaching.
- Teachers are able to use different tools to support different teaching objects.
- Teachers can understand the benefits of computer-based teaching methods.
- Given a website which contains Chinese learning materials, teachers can choose appropriate teaching materials online.
- Given a Chinese class, teachers can find appropriate technology materials to support the class.
After taking this mini-course, participants should be able to:
- figure out the benefits of ingetrate technology in Chinese language teaching.
- albe to use different tools to suupport specific aspect in Chinese.
- proficiently use softwares which provide in this class in their Chinese listening, speaking, reading.
To move from the older teaching model to the newer one, Chinese language teachers need to think about what they do and how and why they do it. Reflective practice allows instructors to consider these questions in a disciplined way.
Reflective practice asks:
- Which teaching material am I using?
- How does technology apply in specific teaching situations?
- How well is technology working in Chinese class?
Blake , R. 2008 . Brave New Digital Classroom: Technology and ForeignbLanguage Learning . Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.
Kervin, L. & Derewianka, B. (2011). New technologies to support language learning. Materials Development in Language Teaching (pp. 328-351). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
Yao,T., Liu. Y,(2012) Integrated Chinese, Third Edition. Boston, Cheng & Tsui Company, Inc.