Unit Four: Integrating Technology into Chinese Language Teaching--Reading
- Teachers will be able to use online source to imporve students reading ability.
- Teachers are able to use different tools to suppor Chinese language learning process, from easy to complecate.
- By using online teaching materials, teachers can develop students' awareness of the reading process and reading strategies by asking students to think.
- Teachers can realized that by integert technoloy in Chinese reading study, students will be albe to practice reading skill in class and practice outside of class in their reading assignments. Teachers should encourage students to be conscious of what they're doing while they complete reading assignments online.
Chinese Characters: Pictograms This lesson deals with the most basic type of Chinese characters: pictograms. These, as the name suggests, were like pictures of what they represented - outlines of the objects indicated. In He’nan Province in central China, archeologists have found turtle shells and cow scapulas carved with characters that more than 3500 years old. A large number of these are pictograms. Although their pronunciations have changed significantly, the shapes of some pictograms have remained the same over thousands of years.
All Chinese characters are logograms, but several different types can be identified, based on the manner in which they are formed or derived. There are a handful which derive from pictograms (象形 pinyin: xiàngxíng) and a number which are ideographic (指事 zhǐshì) in origin, including compound ideographs (會意 huìyì), but the vast majority originated as phono-semantic compounds (形聲 xíngshēng). The other categories in the traditional system of classification are rebus or phonetic loan characters (假借 jiǎjiè) and "derivative cognates" (轉注 zhuǎn zhù). Modern scholars have proposed various revised systems, rejecting certain of the traditional categories.
Technological Basics of Reading Study
Learning Chinese is very interesting, Chinese pictographic character, with this system, it is easy to make combination and recognize the characteristics easily, so first, let's learn how to teach Chinese in a fun way. Please click the video Link
For foreigners, learning to speak Chinese is a hard task. But learning to read the beautiful, often complex characters of the Chinese written language may be less difficult. ShaoLan walks through a simple lesson in recognizing the ideas behind the characters and their meaning -- building from a few simple forms to more complex concepts. Call it Chineasy.
From this Video, we can know that teaching Chinese can be an interesting thing, and teachers can use the images connect to the character in an interesting way.
For intermediate level,effective of learning is crucial. So in this mini-course, I recommend READ CHINESE website which is founded by National Foreign Language Center at the University of Maryland.
Please log in this website and click the intermediate level so simplify Chinese, the usful material and multiple questions will activly let studnets engage in the learning process.
After the assessment, please post your answer for the following questions in the discussion board
1. For Chinese reading, what kind of technology format can support students' learning best?
2. In various of online tools, how to choose materials to support students Chinese reading ability?
3. In order to improve students reading, what kind of activities should teacher prepare for online teaching.