Introduction to Music Theory Mini-Course
MUSIC THEORY MINI-COURSE
The purpose of this mini-course is to provide a basic introduction to the concepts and terms of Music. It is intended for students with no formal background in music theory. This course will lead to an understating of the fundamental elements of musicianship that include musical notation, pitch, meter and rhythm. The ultimate intent of this course is to develop the learners ability to recognize, understand, and describe the basic fundamentals of music theory.
What will you know at the end of this mini-course?
- The learner will develop a basic understanding of a musical notation system, building a theoretical foundation and understanding of music theory.
- The learner will identify and differentiate between the Treble and Bass Clefs.
- The learner will be able to demonstrate fundamental concepts of music (staff, clefs, pitch, etc.)
- The learner will be able to demonstrate musical notation.
- The learner understand and demonstrate simple meter.
Lesson 1 Importance of Music
- Learner will be able to describe the role music has on their life.
Lesson 2 The Staff
- The learner will be able to describe and identify the purpose of the music staff.
- The learner will be able to describe pitch.
Lesson 1 Treble Clef
- Recognize the treble clef, how to draw the clef and be able to identify pitches on a treble clef staff, including ledger lines.
Lesson 2 Bass Clef
- Recognize the bass clef, how to draw the clef and be able to identify pitches on a bass clef staff, including ledger lines.
Lesson 3 The Grand Staff
- Recognize the relationships between the treble and bass clef and how it is incorporated in the grand staff.
Lesson 1 Time Signatures 4/4
- Accurately describe the purpose and function of a time signature.
- Differentiate between whole note, half note and quarter note.
- Differentiate between whole rests, half rests and quarter rests.
- Decode, count and notate rhythms in 4/4 with above note values
Lesson 2 Time Signatures 3/4
- Recognize the purpose and function of 3/4 Time Signature, and its role in music.
- Differentiate between dotted half, half note and quarter note.
- Decode, count and notate rhythms in 3/4 with above note values