Integrating Restorative Practices in the World Language Classroom
The purpose of this course is to show World Language Teachers the benefit of Restorative Practices and how to implement it in their classroom.
- Introduction to Restorative Practices.
- The benefit of Restorative Practices in the World Language classroom.
- Connect Restorative Practices to the new World Language standard in NYS
- How to integrate restorative practices in the World Language Classroom.
Learners will be able to
- Identify what Restorative Practices are and the importance in the classroom.
- Analyze NYS World Language Standards and reflect on how restorative practices will benefit language learners.
- Create a toolbox of resources to help them implement Restorative Practices.
- Collaborate and reflect with classmates on their learning about Restorative Practices.
At the end of this course ...
What will be learned: In this course students will learn how to effectively implement social emotional learning through the framework of restorative practices. Students will be able to make connections between the principles of restorative practices and the world language standards in the state of New York that are being implemented this next academic school year. While many teachers have an understanding of social emotional learning, they don't have the framework of restorative practices. So do restorative practices teachers will be able to best support all of their students emotionally but also academically as they are able to work on their language development as their emotional needs are met. Throughout this course there will be many activities where students will be able to create interactive activities in the target language that they teach that is based off of restorative practices. As well as teachers will have a deeper understanding of the new standards and how to best implement the new standards while meeting the needs of their students.
|Module 1: What are Restorative Practices?
Connecting to World Language Classroom
|Module 2: Restorative Practices in the World Language Classroom||Module 3: Lesson Planning with Restorative practices||Module 4:Integrating a restorative World language curriculum|
|Lesson 1||Relationships over Content||performance-based teaching vs proficiency-based teaching.||Activities in a Restorative Classroom||Model Classroom|
|Lesson 2||Introduction to restorative Practices||Unpacking NYS World language Standards||best practices in World Language Classroom||Restorative practices toolbox|
|Lesson 3||Unpacking NYS Social-Emotional Standards||Teaching World language through Restorative Practices||Lesson Planning with Restorative Practices|
|Lesson 4||Why teach with restorative practices?|