Integrating Geometer's SketchPad into Mathematics Curriculum
Portfolio Page: Celeste Sisson's Portfolio Page
If you are looking to differentiate your instruction and integrate technology in your mathematics lesson, this course offers an optional avenue. In this course, you will learn about a mathematics software called Geometer's SketchPad. Geometer's SketchPad can be used in from grade 3 up through college. You will be exposed to a sample lesson that has incorporated Geometer's SketchPad to see the advantages of incorporating the software. Incorporating Geometer's SketchPad involves students in a hands-on activity with the teaching content. Due to the student involvement in the lesson, student engagement, understanding, and achievement will increase.
What is Geometer's SketchPad?
Geometer's SketchPad is an interactive geometry software program. It can be used to explore areas of mathematics that include but not limited to Euclidean geometry, algebra, and calculus. To complete the following course you will need full access to the software. If your school district does not already own a license to the program, pricing information can be found at: Pricing. If you are unsure about buying the software, please download a free trial from Trial.
1) Participants will be able to identify the advantages of using Geometer's SketchPad in their classroom.
2) Participants will be able to navigate Geometer's SketchPad and Identify the tools incorporated in the program.
3) Participants will be able to supplement/create current mathematics lesson with Geometer's SketchPad.
- Participants will view/participate in an introduction to Geometer's SketchPad.
- Participants will evaluate benefits of integrating Geometer's SketchPad in lesson.
- Participants will create their own lesson either from topics given or their choice
- Particpants will review effectiveness of lesson and Geometer's SketchPad