Unit 3: What techniques can be used during read aloud lessons?
- Participants will be able to understand and demonstrate which techniques to use during discussion portions of read aloud lessons (understand & apply)
- Participants will be able to implement specific strategies into their read aloud lessons (apply)
Successful Read Alouds Article
Please read this article about the different elements that should be incorporated into successful read alouds. In order to have an effective read aloud with movement, teachers need to use a variety of strategies to help their students reach their full potential.
Incorporating Movement Into Literacy Article
Now read this article that is filled with suggestions of lesson ideas of incorprating movement into general literacy lessons for early childhood education classrooms. These activities are important to look into because it can allow teachers to connect both movement with read alouds and movement with literacy activities to enhance their students' learning.
Interactive Read Aloud Video
Please watch this video of a teacher implementing an interactive read aloud using the book "My Lucky Day" by Keiko Kasza. While watching think about what strategies she uses during her read aloud. Does it seem like this is a good book choice for the class? How is her tone, pace, and facial expressions aligning with the story? Does she incorporate any discussion points or planned key questioning?
Please play the "Read Aloud Situations" multiple choice game on Oodlu. If you did not already from Unit 2, follow the steps below to get to the game:
- Click on this link ( https://oodlu.org/home )
- Create a student account
- Where it says "Enter Group Code" use the code "3015" to enter the game.
- Play the game choosing whichever theme you would like to use!
Considering the information you learned from all three units, reflect on the following questions:
- How will you change your read aloud lessons for the future?
- What key elements will you look for in the book choice of your read aloud lessons?
- What strategies will you use in your read aloud lessons to enhance your students' learning?
Be sure to refer back to the materials given, your experiences as a student, your experiences as a teacher, and any outside information you have obtained on this similar topic.
Congratulations on your completion of this mini-course! Take a moment to celebrate your accomplishments!