Unit 1: Why should students move during read alouds?
- Participants will be able to define Read and Move Program (remember)
- Participants will be able to explain the benefits of incorporating movement into read alouds (understand)
TED Talk Video
Please watch this introductory video to the unit about why we should be reading aloud. While listening to Rebecca Bellingham, think about how much you incorporate read alouds into your daily classroom learning activities. Do you think you should be reading aloud more? less?
Read and Move Article
Please read this article about the Read and Move Program. The article discusses this specific program that integrates more movement read alouds into classrooms by supporting teachers and using strategies to help students' learning improve during read alouds.
Considering the information you learned from both the video and the article, reflect on the following questions:
- Why should students be read aloud to?
- Why should students be moving more during read alouds?
- How will you incorporate movement in your future read alouds?
Be sure to refer back to the materials given, your experiences as a student, your experiences as a teacher, and any outside information you have obtained on this similar topic.
After completing all of the learning activities, move onto Unit 2.