Unit 2: Consequence Strategy: 1-2-3 Magic
ETAP 623 Fall 2020 Home | Kaylee Fallat | Understanding and Applying Basic Behavior Components
- Unit 1: Basic Behavior Components
- Unit 2: Consequence Strategy: 1-2-3 Magic
- Unit 3: Consequence Strategy: “If/When-Then” Statements
- Unit 4: Consequence Strategy: Positive Language
- Participants have access to the Internet.
- Participants have reviewed and completed all content and components of Unit 1.
- Participants will review, evaluate, and analyze the unit mini-lecture based on their current and background knowledge.
- The participants will read a scenario and be able to describe how they can implement the consequence behavioral strategy, 1-2-3 Magic.
- Participants will reflect on how they could implement and improve their practices by applying 1-2-3 Magic as a Basic Behavioral Component.
- File:Unit 2-Text- 1-2-3 Magic.pdf
- 1-2-3 Magic in the Classroom 
- Please watch the unit videos that discuss 1-2-3 Magic. These are videos that explain and describe the C-component of the A-B-C Model, consequence specifically the 1-2-3 Magic. While watching the video please think about how you can implement this model into your classroom or how you have previously in your classroom. After watching the videos please write one or more Padlet discussing one thing you learned from the video and why it was meaningful to you.
Links to videos:
- Ask Dr. Phelan: 1-2-3 Magic and ODD 
- 1 2 3 Magic Technique explained 
- Ask Dr Phelan Disruptive in the Classroom 
Reaction Padlet Link:
- Unit 2 Content Reaction 
Please implement the consequence strategy, 1-2-3 Magic with your class or one specific student. Please audio record yourself implementing it with the class. This can take place multiple times throughout the day, for example, at centers, via zoom, individual conversation with a student, or in a whole-class lesson. Please remember to not state any student's name in the submission, especially last names. Submit the audio recording into a google document along with a reflection on what went well with implementing this strategy and what did not. If the consequence strategy, 1-2-3 Magic was not successful, why do you think this is, does it have potential in the future to be successful with your students?
Unit Reflective Journal
At the end of the unit, you will complete a reflection journal. In each journal reflection you will be expected to reflect on the questions:
1. What were your challenges throughout the lesson?
2. How can you apply what you learned in this lesson to your life (past, present, or future)?
3. What are you still curious or confused about?
Please write your reflection journal in a Google document and share it with me, the same document will be used throughout the entire course. You may design it however you would like, with the exception that you can clearly visualize a separation between each unit reflection journal.
- Newton, S. (2007, April 24). Effective Classroom Management 1-2-3 Magic!. http://horrycountyschools.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_743372/File/Learning%20Services/123%20Magic-1.pdf
- Phelan, T., & Schonour, S. (2016). 1-2-3 Magic in the Classroom: Effective Discipline for Pre-K through Grade 8 (2nd Edition). ParentMagic, Inc. https://issuu.com/sourcebooks/docs/1-2-3_magic_in_the_classroom
- 123 Magic Parenting. (2018, October 1). Ask Dr. Phelan: 1-2-3 Magic and ODD [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQdLDMLrYIAhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooMlEARpVVs
- Soila Sindiyo. (2014, November 21). 1 2 3 Magic Technique explained [Video]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIEcrJqRmdk
- 123 Magic Parenting. (2016, September 14). Ask Dr. Phelan Disruptive in the Classroom [Video]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSDkgN5aC5A&feature=emb_logo