Unit 1: Basic Behavior Components
- Unit 1: Basic Behavior Components
- Unit 2: Consequence Strategy: 1-2-3 Magic
- Unit 3: Consequence Strategy: “If/When-Then” Statements
- Unit 4: Consequence Strategy: Positive Language
- Participants have access to the Internet.
- Participants have had experience with behavioral problems in their classrooms.
- Participants have teaching experience of at least 3 years.
- Participants will review, evaluate, and analyze the unit mini-lecture based on their current and background knowledge.
- Participants will describe a prior student behavior experience they had in their classroom according to the Basic Behavioral Components (A-B-C Model).
- Please watch the unit video that discusses the ABC model of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. These are introductory videos that are a foundation for the entire mini-course. While watching the video please think about how you can implement this model into your classroom or how you have previously in your classroom. After watching both videos please write one or more Padlet discussing one thing you learned from the video and why it was meaningful to you.
Links to videos:
- ABC model of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy 
- TED How to change your behavior for the better 
Reaction Padlet Link:
- Unit 1 Content Reaction 
ABC Model Behavior Management Activity
Think of a behavior you have witnessed in a classroom, playground, or another setting where children are present.
Here are your tasks:
- Use the A-B-C formula to write out the behavior chain.
- Answer these questions:
- Is this a behavior you want to reinforce? If yes, how would you do that?
- Is this a behavior that you want to reduce? If yes, how would you do that?
Please present this information in a Flipgrid video. Here is the Flipgrid video link: https://flipgrid.com/e75be536
ABC Model Behavior Management Test
Unit Reflective Journal
At the end of the unit, you will complete a reflection journal. In each journal reflection you will be expected to reflect on the questions:
1. What were your challenges throughout the lesson?
2. How can you apply what you learned in this lesson to your life (past, present, or future)?
3. What are you still curious or confused about?
Please write your reflection journal in a Google document and share it with me, the same document will be used throughout the entire course. You may design it however you would like, with the exception that you can clearly visualize a separation between each unit reflection journal.
- Project IDEAL. (2013). Section I: Basic Behavior Components (A-B-C Model). Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities. http://www.projectidealonline.org/v/basic-behavior-components/
- Therapist Aid. (2014, October 22). ABC model of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQdLDMLrYIAhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRRdSm4ZjX4
- Dan Ariely. (2019, June). How to Change Your Behavior for the Better[Video]. YouTube. https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_ariely_how_to_change_your_behavior_for_the_better?language=en