Get wise about WISE
Welcome! This course is designed for science teachers from grade 4-12. Its purpose is to identify and explore inquiry based learning, specifically how it is used in an online science environment called WISE (Web-based Inquiry Environment). Inquiry Based Learning is an effective teaching method that has been researched and is required for educators to meet both State and National Science Standards! We are going to explore WISE and find out how it provides a Web-based inquiry learning environment in Science.
Throughout this course you are going to see FOUR icons:
represents that you need to open --Slotta's The Web-based Inqiry Science Environment (WISE): Scaffolding knowlege integration in the science classroom. or go back to it in another window. You may need to click on it and then copy the address and insert it into a blank window page, then return back to the Course from the main page.
- IT SHOULD BE KEPT OPEN IN ITS OWN WINDOW THROUGHOUT THE COURSE.
represents that you need to open [Website sign in] or go back to it in another window. You may need to click on it and then copy the address and insert it into a blank window page, then return back to the Course from the main page.
By the end of this course I expect participants to become more familiar with the internal structure of WISE, how it is an effective way to teach science, and discover how to implement it within your classrooms as effectively as you can.
Click on Unit 1 to begin.
- distinguish what inquiry based approach to learning is and how it relates to WISE.
- consider WISE as one inquiry based approach specifically related to science and examine it as both a learner and a educator.
- discuss inquiry based learning and WISE
- identify through a students perspective how WISE uses inquiry activities and assessments.
- identify through a students perspective how WISE uses technology to help learners and educators create an technology driven inquiry based learning environment.
- identify and discuss ways that the WISE program provides knowledge integration practices/processes and make noticings about how they support knowledge integration practices/processes.
- identify and discuss the learning environment and patterns used in WISE and make noticings about it supports student learning.
- Be able to navigate through WISE as a Teacher, identify and discuss the projects, management, communities, and help process, associated with Teacher's PET portals.
- generate different ways that WISE supports teachers in adopting the WISE into their classrooms.
- To demonstrate an understanding of the WISE learning environment and how to implement it effectively within your classroom.
- To identify ways this course helped you.
- To identify ways to make this course better, state them in the discussion, and execute those changes throughout the course.