Using Google Classroom as a collaborative tool in the classroom
Welcome to Using Google Classroom as a collaborative tool in the classroom! This course is intended for learners to explore
the features of Google Classroom and provides the opportunity to practice its collaborative attributes. Therefore, this
course emphasizes several teaching and learning theories and strategies - collaborative learning, project-based learning,
self-regulated learning, and scaffolding - and give learners the experience of working and learning with others, as well as
being independent learners. Browse the lessons to see examples of discussion forums, practice exercises, projects, reading
materials, and video contents.
Each unit of this course is strategically built on the previous unit. In the first unit, I provided background information
on the topic to give learners a basic understanding of the relation between Collaborative learning and technology - Google
Classroom. The second unit builds on the first by providing learners the opportunity to apply information and hands-on
applications via demonstration videos and reading materials. The third unit builds on previous units by allowing learners
to put together everything they have learned from the beginning of the course in the form of a final project. Finally, Use
the Next, or Previous buttons at the bottom of each page to move sequentially through the course.
Many teachers are struggling to find ways to implement effective collaborative practices in the classroom (Murray, 2004).
Participants will therefore explore the benefits of Google Classroom as a collaborative tool to promote engagement and
share resources with other teachers. Through information, activities, and expert guidance participants will be able to
learn and design a Google Classroom while using other Google applications.
- Given specific reading materials and examples, participants will be able to explain why collaboration is important in the classroom and how technology can support collaboration.
- Given tutorial instructions, participants will be able to create a Google Classroom and use Google APPS.
- Given tutorial instructions and rubric, participants will plan and create collaborative assignments using Google Classroom.
UNIT 1 - Collaborative Learning and Technology
Unit Objective - Given specific reading materials and examples, participants will be able to explain why collaboration is important in the classroom and how technology can support collaboration.
1. Learners will read about collaborative learning and technology.
2. Learners will read about Google Classroom as a collaborative tool.
3. Learners will use the assigned discussion forum to discuss and explain in their own words:
How technology can impact collaborative learning. How Google Classroom can help with collaboration. Reflect on their own experience using Google Classroom
UNIT 2 - Creating Google Classroom and using Google tools
Unit Objective- Given tutorial instructions, participants will be able to create a Google Classroom and use Google APPs.
1. Learners will watch instructional videos on how to create Google Classroom and use Google Apps
2. Learners will practice how to create a Google Classroom and use Google Apps.
UNIT 3 - Collaborating in Google Classroom
Unit Objective- Given tutorial instructions and rubric, participants will plan and create a collaborative assignment using Google Classroom and Google tools.
1. Learners will watch an instructional video on how to create a collaborative assignment.
2. Learners will plan and create collaborative assignments using Google Classroom and Google tools.
3. Learners will use the assigned Google Sheets to provide feedback on final project to two other persons.
I want to acknowledge the following mini-courses for styling and formatting ideas.
Developing Learning Communities Through Blended Learning Activities
Integrating Metacognitive Development in Mathematics Instruction
Integrating Google Classroom in the Classroom
Using Collaborative Learning in Classrooms and Libraries http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/education/2010/march/Collaborative-Learning-Gaining-Traction-in-Classrooms-and-Libraries.html#:~:text=The%20National%20Institute%20for%20Science%20Education%20published%20several,learn%20the%20material%20even%20better%2C%E2%80%9D%20one%20student%20writes.
44 Benefits of Collaborative Learning
Collaboration, technology, and culture https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jianwei_Zhang7/publication/327537243_Collaboration_technology_and_culture/links/5b9428a2299bf147392a6698/Collaboration-technology-and-culture.pdf
What are the benefits of cooperative and collaborative learning? https://www.thirteen.org/edonline/concept2class/coopcollab/index_sub3.html
What is collaborative learning?
- Connect with other educators here Google for Education has twelve trainers available to contact for any questions, training help, or directions for using their tools, including Google Classroom. This is a great resource to connect with other teachers who are trained on Google and have had plenty of experience working with the Google for Education tools.
- Google for Education Case Studies Read different case studies from schools around the world who have integrated Google for Education tools in to their schools and classrooms. These case studies not only describe the works done within Google Classroom, but also other tools such as Google Docs, Google Forms, and other Google apps.
- Google Classroom Tutorial 2016 This tutorial video serves as a step by step guide to help set up your own Google Classroom. Use this as a resource to refer back to or to supplement with the task instructions below. If you are a visual learner, then this method of instruction for creating your own Google Classroom will be most beneficial.
- Collaborative Google Apps Activities for schools