Unit Two: Applying the Curriculum-Driven Approaches to Media Literacy in an ELA Classroom
- Welcome to Unit Two of Integrating Media Literacy Skills in a Secondary ELA Classroom!
Unit Objective: Participants will apply learned knowledge of media literacy skills and concepts to create a lesson plan that builds on students’ media literacy skills in a 7-12 ELA classroom.
Before you start lesson one of this unit, complete the following pre-assessment.
- Create a Google Doc in our mini-course folder.Media Literacy Mini-Course 2017
- Please label your Google Doc and all other files with your full name and assignment. (i.e. Stephanie Aquino Unit Two Pre-Assessment). Please use double space, 12 pt Times New Roman font and 1" margins. Please remove all extra space between paragraphs.
- Respond to the following pre-assessment questions in your Google Doc:
- What is the purpose of media literacy education?
- Read the following Six Core Principles of Media Literacy Education and answer the following question: Which of the six core principles of Media Literacy Education do you find the most important? Why?
The Core Principles of Media Literacy Education
- Media Literacy Education requires active inquiry and critical thinking about the messages we receive and create.
- Media Literacy Education expands the concept of literacy to include all forms of media (i.e., reading and writing).
- Media Literacy Education builds and reinforces skills for learners of all ages. Like print literacy, those skills necessitate integrated, interactive, and repeated practice.
- Media Literacy Education develops informed, reflective and engaged participants essential for a democratic society.
- Media Literacy Education recognizes that media are a part of culture and function as agents of socialization.
- Media Literacy Education affirms that people use their individual skills, beliefs and experiences to construct their own meanings from media messages.
Let's proceed to our first lesson:Lesson Four: Analyzing and Critiquing Media Documents using the NAMLE Key Questions
ETAP 623 Spring 2017: ETAP 623 Spring 2017
Portfolio Page: Stephanie Aquino's Portfolio Page
Mini-Course Homepage: Media Literacy Mini-Course Homepage
Lessons in this unit: