Unit 3: Literacy Strategies Application
Unit 3 Overview
In this unit you will read a series of articles from the NSTA journals: Science Scope and The Science Teacher. In each reading you will be asked to either identify and explain how a literacy strategy can be applied to the lesson or explain how literacy was being implemented in the lesson. Try to see the lesson from the viewpoint of both a teacher AND a student.
Task 1: It's a Piece of Cake!
- Read the following article. Pay attention to how analogies are used.
- In your Design Journal, summarize the article and explain how literacy skills were promoted.
Task 2: Present..Critique..Reflect..Refine
- Read the following article. Pay attention to the use of helpful learning strategies.
- In your Design Journal, summarize the article and explain how literacy skills were promoted in the article.
- In your Design Journal, explain how another literacy strategy can be applied or how you may improve on the article.
Task 3:Food and Energy for All!!
- Read the following article and apply your knowledge of literacy strategies to it.
- In your Design Journal, use your research and the research of others to explain how you would use a literacy strategy in this article to deepen understanding.
To Unit 4: Unit 4: Literacy Lesson Development
Course Folder: Shared Google Folder