Unit 2: Lesson One
Let's Get Started!!!
In the previous unit, you have read, watched and reflected on how the use of video can possibly improve instruction. Here is your chance to dive right into the process by creating videos through the use of the Camtasia software. On each of your worskstations, you should already have a copy of the software installed on your computer. If you partaking in this class off-campus, download the trial version of Camtasia by following this link: http://www.techsmith.com/download/camtasiatrial.asp
Camtasia Studio is a complete solution for quickly creating professional-looking videos of your PC desktop activity. Using Camtasia Studio’s suite of applications, you can:
- Record full-motion screen video with perfect quality
- Include a variety of cursor highlights during recording
- Edit, cut, and join video clips
- Add digital video files (DV, MPEG, WMV) to your screen recordings
- Add interactive Callouts, Zoom-n-Pan effects, Quizzes, Picture-in-Picture, and much more
- Edit and add audio, including voice narration and music
- Create a Web-based or CD-based menu from which to launch your video and other media files
- Produce your final video in any popular file format
In the lesson, you will...
- receive a basic understanding of the Camtasia interface
- perform an effective screen capture
Lesson One Tasks
- Watch: An Overview of Camtasia produced by TechSmith. This video is a great overview of the Camtasia interface to help get you acclimated with the software.
- Watch: How to Record
- Apply: Once you have finished viewing the "Record" tutorial, create a recording of your screen. Use the tutorial as your guide. Be sure to include some kind of action. Mouse movement, opening/closing programs, browsing web pages, etc...
*Tip: As you watch these videos have Camtasia open on your desktop. As the tools and processes are being introduced, pause the video and familarize yourself with what is being taught. Interact with the tutorial, this will make it a little easier to implement when you try it out on your own.
Proceed to Unit 2: Lesson Two
- Introductory Lesson: Camtasia: My PowerPoint, My Movie This is a PDF of our lecture that we present in a traditional classroom setting. Provides an additional overview of what Camtasia can do for you.
- Quick Reference Guide: A handout explaining some of the basic operations of Camtasia.