Sarah Graham's Portfolio Page
Statement of Intent
Middle school students will using internet sources, be able to align themselves with a career and understand where to learn the facts about it. By doing so they will learn the path they need to follow in the future to reach their goals.
The Instructional Problem
Middle school students need to be ready for the world outside of school in regards to the career planning. Career planning is being able to reflect on one's own strengths and weaknesses in relation to job demands and educational opportunities.
About the learners
This course is designed for grades seven or eight. They have done little in the field of occupations. They bring with them the ability to think critically about what they would like to do in the future, though no real background of how realistic that may be or how to get there.
Each student will have access to a computer with internet capabilities, and Microsoft publisher. They will also have access to textbook use in the school library.
- What is a skill?
- What is an aptitude?
- How do these ideas affect our job choice?
- How do you fill out a job application?
- What to do to prepare for an interview?
- Where to find information on a career?
Upon completion of this course learners will have a better understanding of the following:
- Explain how interesets, aptitudes, and skills influence career choices.
- Give strategies for applying and interviewing for a job
- List education possibilities for getting a job
 New York Career Zone
 Career Cruising
 Occupational Outlook Handbook
Back to ETAP 623 Spring 2010
Back to Sarah Graham main page
Move on to Career Exploration Mini-Course