Integration of Plickers in the K-5 classroom
Overview and Purpose
This mini-course will focus on the integration of Plickers in the K-5 classroom. As an introduction to Pickers, this course will give an overview of a step by step direction on how to set up Plickers in the classroom, the multiple uses of Plickers, as well as the benefits Plickers gives to both the students and teachers. Participants will have the opportunity to create their own Plickers account and incorporate the tool into their own classroom instruction.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Access and Navigate the Plickers web page and app
- Create a Plickers lesson and add content for use
- Collect and analyze data as a formative assessment tool
Problem: Educators are always looking for new, exciting, and effective tools to use in the classroom for students to review material previously learned, pre assess prior knowledge, and a fast way to get a formal assessment on student’s knowledge and understanding. The problem is there are so many choices available, but not all have the same functions and features and it is difficult for teachers and educators to weed out the poorly designed web functions.
What is to be Learned: In this mini course the learners will become more familiar with a website called Plickers and learn how to create their own classes and review functions on the site, incorporate Plickers into their lessons, and use the informative assessment features of Plickers to get an improved understanding of what material their students know and don’t know.
The Learners: The learners of this course are any classroom educators or teachers of any grade level or any content specialty.
Goals: The purpose of this mini-course is to:
- Be able to navigate Plickers website and app
- Learn how to incorporate Plickers as a supplemental tool into the classroom
- Create fun, exciting, and effective forms of pre and post assessments and review for students
- Collect data from Plickers and use as a form of formative assessment
Purpose: This course will be an introductory course on how to create a Plickers class to use with students as a form of an assessment, review, or pre assessment
End-of-Course Results: Learners will be able to incorporate Plickers as a supplemental tool into their lessons across content areas and grade levels.
- The participant is familiar with using technological tools in the classroom
- The participant is familiar with downloading and using applications on their smart phone
- The participant is knowledgeable about the needs of their students and areas of difficulty in understanding content
- The participant has experienced or observed Plickers being used in the classroom before
- The participant has a strong skill set in creating review materials based on the needs of their students
This mini-course includes the following units. Click the title of a unit to go to its page.
-Participants will be able to create a Plickers account and navigate the web page and app
-Participants will be able to set up a class with materials and content needed to use a Plickers lesson in the classroom
-Participants will gain knowledge on ways to incorporate Plickers into their lessons and classrooms
-Participants will be able to collect and analyze assessment data gained by using Plickers
References and Resources
Plickers Assessment Tool - Ms. Keskel, 3rd Grade. (2014, November 06). Retrieved December 17, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTQel68w6mw
Plickers. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://blogs.umass.edu/onlinetools/assessment-centered-tools/plickers/
Plickers 102: Innovative Ways to Use Plickers. (2016, March 06). Retrieved from https://corkboardconnections.blogspot.com/2016/03/innovative-strategies-for-plickers.html
P. (2015, February 09). Plickers - A Step by Step Tutorial. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpx56rjCVjQ
Technology in the Classroom: Using Plickers for Formative Assessment. (2016, February 04). Retrieved December 17, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbweunzhBH0