Incorporating Virtual Field Trips
It's a small world after all!
In this mini course we will learn about the different types of virtual field trips, how to access them, and how best to incorporate them into your curriculum. No more bothering parents for permission slips! Virtual field trips give you access to subject experts, and resources all over the world.
Throughout the course you will:
- reflect on how this topic is relevant to your teaching
- Watch videos
- Learn about providers of virtual field trips
- Discuss ideas with classmates
- Practice what you learned
- Use the discussion tap at the top of each unit
This mini course involves accessing multiple websites, some of which will have live video feeds. Make sure that your computer does not have restrictions such as pop up blockers on that may prevent access to these sites. Make sure you have a good internet connection. If your wifi signal is weak you may want to use an Ethernet cable to connect to your internet. Have a notebook or paper and pencil available as you work through the course in order to write down your reflections.
The learner will:
1. Define types of virtual field trips.
2. Compare pros and cons of traditional field trips to virtual field trips.
3. Identify equipment and funding needs to access a virtual field trip.
4. Analyze characteristics that demonstrate a quality virtual field trip program.
5. Collaborate and incorporate a virtual field trip to the classroom curriculum.
Choose your pilot to guide you on your journey!
UNIT 1: What are virtual field trips?
1. The learner will define key terms that relate to virtual field trips.
2. The learner will be able to identify the different types of virtual field trips.
3. The learner will compare elements of traditional vs virtual field trips.
UNIT 2: Making sense of virtual field trips.
1. The learner will differentiate advantages and disadvantages of accessing field trips through technology.
2. The learner will be able to identify characteristics of quality virtual field trips.
3. The learner will be able to identify the obstacles to accessing virtual field trip providers and how to overcome those obstacles.
UNIT 3:Bringing virtual field trips into the classroom
1. The learner will analyze elements of virtual field trips that relate to classroom and objectives.
2. The learner will align virtual field trip topics to common core and state standards.
3. The learner will research and implement a virtual field trip into their curriculum 3 months of course end..