Flexible Seating in Elementary School
Overview and Purpose
Think of your favorite lesson...
- Can you remember a time where you struggled to focus on a lesson?
- Were students engaged?
- Or were your students squirming out of their seats?
- Were they learning everything you wanted them to learn?
- Or were they too busy not sitting still?
The purpose of this mini course is to address the idea of flexible seating in an elementary school classroom. Often we find that younger grades in school students have a lot of energy and trouble sitting still. If you see this in your classroom flexible seating could be for you! Flexible seating has been new addition to the classroom which helps students get to move around and help them better focus. There is a wide range of ways that you can incorporate flexible seating into your class keep clicking if you would like to learn more!
The problem: Many students often struggle to sit still in a classroom causing them to lose focus while in school. When talking to teachers they express the struggle of not having flexible seating or different seating areas for their students. Often times it is due to money and lack of knowledge about all of the different types of flexible seating that has been created.
Educate elementary schools on how beneficial flexible seating can be for students Educate teachers and other education personal on different types of flexible seating Talk about and elaborate to people on flexible seating Encourage schools to supply more flexible seating
1. Understanding how flexible seating fits in the whole context of classroom management and culture building
2. Determine students who may benefit from flexible seating
3. Learning outcomes to see how effective flexible seating is for students
4. Explain how flexible seating can help so many kids
5. Create examples of flexible seating in your own classroom
This mini-course includes the following units. Click the title of a unit to go to its page.
Lesson 1: What is flexible seating?
This lesson covers the basis of what flexible seating is in a classroom. It shows you about what the different types of flexible seating that you can include from basic to more complex.
- Participants will be able define flexible seating.
Lesson 2: The Benefits of Flexible Seating
This lesson covers the benefits of using flexible seating. It is not just the students who move around in their seats who flexible seating can help but also gifted children. Flexible seating lends itself to all students in a classroom and benefits them in more ways than most people know.
- Participants will identify and describe the benefits of flexible seating being added to your classroom.
- Participants will understand how flexible will effect instruction.
This lesson will focus on the classroom management needed to incorporate flexible seating.
- Participants will describe positive examples of flexible seating.
- Participants will be able to explain how flexible seating effects