Developing Preschool Number Sense
Back to: Linsey Bland's Homepage
Welcome to Developing Preschool Number Sense!
This course is for current preschool teachers, pre-service teachers, and early childhood caregivers. It is my hope that by the end of this course, you will have some new ideas and tricks about how to recognize children's understanding of numbers. I hope also that at the end of this course, you will have acquired some strategies and activities that you can implement in your current (or future) classroom. Math can be so much fun, especially when you are doing it with young children! I look forward to learning from the experiences you will bring to the course, as well as facilitating the dialogue you will have with myself and your peers. Please begin the course by going to the introduction page and completing your first assignment.
- Objective: Learners will reflect on their teaching or understanding of children's number sense by answering prerequisite questions in the form of writing or a self-designed diagram.
- Objective: Learners will suggest various ways to incorporate numeral recognition into their classroom and/or daily routine.
- Objective: Learners will explain the place of rote counting in the developmental understanding of number sense.
- Objective: Learners will share at least one way to reinforce one-to-one correspondence in a preschool classroom.
- Objective: Learners will comment on and critique classmates' classroom integration ideas.
- Objective: Learners will state an example of an assessment to figure out if a child can connect numerals to quantities.
Review and Conclusion This is a self-reflective period of closure with no specific performance objectives.
References and Resources
Please follow this link to visit the reference list: Scroll down to the bottom of the linked page