Title: Integrating Technology in the Foreign Language Classroom
The course will introduce the selection and effective uses of various types of media in teaching a foreign and second language. The course is intended for language teachers wishing to integrate appropriate technologies into their classroom instruction in order to enhance student learning. Learners will explore teaching with a variety of tools such as the internet, blogs, video, wiki and mp3 player. This course will provide the learner with recognizing the impact and importance of utilizing different media in the language classroom. Each tool will be discussed along with how each of these tools can support learning objectives.
Today there are advancements in technology which are influencing education and how students learn with the integration of technology. It has been proven that students enjoy working with technology. This course will present possibilities of producing creative lessons which provide active participation of students and encourage student learning.
• List the purposes and benefits of the technology tools used in foreign language classrooms (verbal)
• Identify ways of integrating technology in the foreign language classroom (verbal information and intellectual skill)
• Evaluate how each of the different types of technology are effective in supporting learning objectives (cognitive strategy)
• After completing the course, learners will demonstrate their appreciation of the importance of incorporating technology in the foreign language classroom to differentiate instruction and engage students(attitude)
1. Instructional Problem Implementing technology in the 21st century classroom is critical in order to prepare our students for the globalized workforce. The new standard for 21st century learning requires teachers to learn how to effectively integrate technology in fulfilling curriculum requirements. There are a wide range of emerging technologies which can enhance student learning. Unfortunately, many educators are unaware of the value and importance of utilizing technology to support student learning in the 21st century. Despite access to technology and despite the fact that novice teachers are entering the classroom with far more advanced technology skills than their counterparts of an earlier age, only 39 percent of teachers report "moderate" or "frequent" use of technology as an instructional tool (Grunwald Associates, 2010).
2. What is to be Learned
Educators will learn how to integrate the innovative use of technology tools into foreign language instruction. They will recognize the impact and importance of utilizing different media in the foreign language classroom including online learning, mobile devices and Web 2.0 tools
3. The Learners
Learners will include educators and administrators teaching children in grades 6-12. The participants may have a varying degree of knowledge of technology. The prerequisite for the course requires knowing the basics of word processing, email, and WWW navigation.
4. Context for Instruction
Learners will learn the content of this course via on-line and are required to have a computer and an internet connection.
5. Exploring the Instructional Problem and Solution
Educators will be able to explore technology tools which can be used in the foreign language classroom to promote learning. They will learn how and why these tools are applied to improve learning in the target areas of foreign language instruction: reading, writing, listening and speaking. For example, a wiki is a valuable tool in learning writing skills, an iPod dramatically improves listening while blogs foster a community of learners. Some tools address all target areas. Educators will be provided with helpful resources and lesson plan activities utilizing each of these tools which they can incorporate into their classroom.
6. Goals of the Mini-Course One goal of the course is to educate teachers about the types of technology they can use in the classroom to improve language learning. A second goal is to show educators how they can use these tools in the classroom and what area(s) in foreign language learning does each tool address to promote learning. The last goal of this mini-course is for teachers to recognize why integrating technology is useful and valuable to instruction
By the end of the course, instructors will be able to:
• Given the description and presentation of 21st century technology tools for the foreign language classrooms, the learner will be able to identify and explain each tool in 20 words or less. (Comprehension/cognitive)
• Given examples of how each technology tool is utilized in the foreign language classroom, the learner will be able to apply technology in their own classrooms. Learners will select 4 out of 5 tools and will complete a graphic organizer with 100% accuracy which demonstrates the description, purpose, application and examples of classroom activities for each technology tool. (Application/cognitive)
• Given the benefits of each technology tool learners will evaluate which tool is most effective when addressing each of the 4 foreign language modalities: reading, writing, listening and speaking. Learners will examine and compare each tool and illustrate their findings in a Venn diagram. (Analysis - problem solving, synthesis level)
• Given the opportunity for to learner to be presented with technology tools for the foreign language classroom, the learner will demonstrate a positive increase in attitude towards integrating technology in the foreign languge classroom as measured by a checklist and a self-reflection.(Evaluation)
Lesson One: Why integrate technology in the foreign language classroom?
- Educators will be informed on the benefits of integrating technology in the classroom by reading an article on the importance of technology in education.
- Educators will watch a video on using technology in the foreign language classroom and will answer questions relating to the video.
- Educators will complete a self-assessment
Lesson Two: Integrating the iPOD in Foreign Language learning.
- Educators will identify tools which supplement language learning by completing graphic organizer and connecting the four modalities of reading, writing, listening and speaking
- Educators will examine each application and explain in 20 words or less the function of iPod touch
- Educators will watch videos and learn about each application. They will complete mini-activities after each application
- Educators will explore Social Media tools and learn how they are applied in the foreign language classroom
- Educators will complete activities where they identify tools and integrate them into the 5C's of language learning
- Educators will complete two charts reviewing all applications and how they improve language learning.
Assessment: :*Students will select 1 tool and create a lesson plan activity for the foreign language classroom
References and Resources
Burns, M. (2010). How to Help Teachers Use Technology in the Classroom: the 5J Approach. eLearn Magazine. Retrieved from http://elearnmag.acm.org/featured.cfm?aid=1865476
Stroud, Matt. Incorporating Technology into the Foreign Language classroom. http://www.trinity.edu/mstroud/technology/CALL.html