Unit 2: Classroom Environment
Lesson One ~
Guiding question: What is Classroom Climate?
1. Please read the following link: https://www.ideaedu.org/Portals/0/Uploads/Documents/IDEA%20Papers/IDEA%20Papers/PaperIDEA_61.pdf
2. Think about classroom management. How does this relate to classroom climate?
- Please watch the following video:
Examples of a Positive Classroom Environment:
- Teacher maintains a positive attitude in the classroom
- Students have an equal opportunity to excel in the classroom
- Teacher encourages conversation that builds trust in the classroom
- Students are comfortable in their arranged/flexible seating
- Teacher sets classroom roles and routines
- Classroom is decorated with student work
- Classroom looks and feels"homey."
3. Please Read the Following Article on Classroom Culture:
Lesson Two ~
Guiding Question: What is Morning Meeting?
1. Read the following article on morning meeting in the responsive classroom: https://www.responsiveclassroom.org/what-is-morning-meeting/
2. Take a look at Sample Morning Meetings: https://www.responsiveclassroom.org/sites/default/files/pdf_files/SMMbooklet.pdf
Think and reflect on how morning meeting makes an impact on students' emotional well being.
Which morning meeting strategy would you implement?
Important Tip: Even if the school you are employed in does not participate in morning meeting, you may still incorporate some of these components in your daily instruction when appropriate.
Lesson Three ~
Guiding Question: How could we effectively set up our classroom to support SEL?
1. Read about classroom setup:
2. Watch the video on the "calm corner."
- The physical classroom space should allow students to feel safe
- Students should have a space in the classroom where they need to manage their emotions
- Teachers should encourage reflecting on feelings
Here is a link to plan out your classroom setup:
What components would you consider for your classroom setup?
Unit 2 Reflection ~
Please complete your reflection on the following form below: