Unit 1: Literacy Methods in the Foreign Language Classroom
Hello everyone! Before we jump into learning about effective literacy methods for the foreign language classroom and the advantages of using technology to facilitate these methods, I wanted to first give an orientation to all participants in the structure of this unit and the following units:
1. Objectives- The performance objectives describe what participants will be able to do upon completion of the unit
2. Questions to consider- Guiding questions that focus on topics that will be addressed in the unit to contemplate while reviewing the information.
3. Before the lesson- Any complementary information will be placed here. I recommend reading through all information included here before beginning the unit.
NOTE ON HYPERLINKS: Wikis are designed to open any link in the same window. If you are someone who prefers to multitask, I recommend RIGHT CLICKING on the links and selecting "Open Link in New Tab" to view the link in a separate location. This way, you will not have to constantly press the back button to go in between links and the unit/lessons.
Participants will be able to:
- Apply literacy methods to the foreign language classroom
- Modify instruction to incorporate literacy in the foreign language classroom
Questions to consider
- How can literacy be incorporated into a foreign language classroom?
- How do literacy methods fulfill foreign language standards?
- What can technology do to enhance literacy instruction in a foreign language classroom?
Before the lesson
For a quick refresher or introduction to ACTFL, the 5Cs, and foreign language literacy, please watch this presentation to familiarize yourself with material that will be referenced in the unit:
Once you finish watching the presentation, you can proceed to Lesson 1.1: Refresher on Effective Literacy Methods
After the lesson
To demonstrate your understanding of the topics presented in this unit, please complete this form Your task is to:
- choose two of the literacy methods introduced in Lesson 1.1
- explain how you would incorporate technology into both of those methods to maximize class time
- elaborate on how you address all students' literacy needs with your current technology