Unit 1: About SEL
Lesson One ~
Guiding question: What is social emotional learning?
1. Please read the following link: https://casel.org/what-is-sel/
2. Once you have read about SEL, please navigate to the various approaches of SEL.
3. Upon completion of step 2, read about the benefits of SEL.
- Please watch the following video:
As you watch the provided video clip, allow yourself to reflect on why SEL is important for teachers to know.
Lesson Two ~
Guiding Question: How do we integrate SEL into our instruction?
1. Read the following article on SEL integration: https://casel.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/SEL-Trends-3-10232018.pdf
2. Read the following articles on SEL integration and teaching emotion management skills: https://www.edutopia.org/article/incorporating-sel-new-teacher
4. Watch the provided video link on SEL in the elementary classroom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmVhO3nL2EM
Important Tip: Even if the school you are employed in does not participate in a SEL curriculum, you may still incorporate some of these strategies in your daily instruction when appropriate.
Lesson Three ~
Guiding Question: How could we effectively plan our instruction to support SEL?
1. Review the example SEL lesson plans: https://www.mcgill.ca/connectionslab/files/connectionslab/emotional_regulation_lesson_plans.pdf
2. Watch the video clip of a SEL lesson in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaCVfeWKTp0
- Think about what strategies you would use in your own SEL lesson plan.
- What are the SEL strategies that resonated with you?
Unit 1 Reflection ~
Please complete your reflection on the following form below: