Understanding Emergent Writing
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Zoey's mother wants to be able to support her daughter in the most productive way that she can: That's where you come in!
- 2.1 Course Objectives:
- 2.2 Here are some prerequisites that will help you be successful in this course:
- 2.3 Let's Get Started! Unit 1 - defining emergent writing
Meet Zoey, a 5-year-old who has just started Kindergarten this year.
This is some writing she did this week when asked what she wanted from Santa.
So, what is it she asked for from Santa?
- Zoey asked for a baby crib and a baby bed. The curved lines in between her words are her way of making sure to put spaces in between her words!
- Zoey is currently in a stage of Emergent Writing, she's still figuring it all out.
- Through the research you do in this course you will understand Zoey's choices.
Zoey's mother wants to be able to support her daughter in the most productive way that she can: That's where you come in!
- When asked what emergent writing is, learners will be able to classify emergent writing by describing it in writing.
- Given picture examples of various stages of emergent writing, learners will be able to identify the stage shown and their reasons for choosing that stage in writing.
- Given picture examples of various stages of emergent writing, learners will be able to identify proper support for a child at that stage and explain their reasoning behind their choices in writing.
- Learners will be able to generate a written report to give to Zoey's's mother regarding background information on Emergent Writing, what stage her child is currently at and how to best support her child at that stage.
Here's a look at the activities in this course:
Unit 1 - Defining Emergent Writing
- Introduction to Project
Meet Zoey, a Kindergarten student, and see samples of her writing Project Definition- Help Zoey's mother understand emergent writing, determine her current stage of emergent writing and figure out how to best support her in that stage
- Activity 1 Research Emergent Writing
Watch a video on Emergent Writing and learn general information about its definition Read a text about Emergent Writing defining it in more detail
- Activity 2 Define Emergent Writing
Report your findings on emergent writing to Zoey's mother based on what you have found in your research
Unit 2 - Characteristics of Stages of Emergent Writing
- Activity 1 View examples of Emergent Writing and Learn their characteristics
View Voicethread presentation with examples of each of the 5 stages of Emergent Writing and descriptions of the characteristics of that stage.
- Activity 2 Review Stages and Characteristics of Emergent Writing
View a document showing stages of emergent writing and their characteristics. Based on your research,start to think about what stage of emergent writing Zoey is currently at.
- Activity 3 Define stages and characteristics of Emergent Writing
Given pictures of various stages of Emergent Writing, identify the stage demonstrated and your reasoning behind choosing that stage.
Briefly explain to Zoey's mother the characteristics of the stages Emergent Writing and tell her what stage Zoey is currently at.
Unit 3 - Supporting Emergent Writers
- Activity 1 Seeing Support in Action
View a video demonstrating Emergent Writing support Write a written reflection about what you noticed about/characteristics of the support given
- Activity 2 Proper Support at Each Stage
Read text explaining proper support to give emergent writers at each stage Start thinking about what support would be appropriate for Zoey at her current stage of emergent writing
- Activity 3 Defining Proper Support for Emergent Writers
Given pictures of various stages of Emergent Writing, explain what support you would give for each example as well as the reasoning for your choices.
Make decisions regarding what types of support Zoey needs at her current stage of emergent writing.
Given the research you have done as well as applying this research to Zoey's work samples, provide Zoey's mother with a written report including the following:
- Background information on Emergent Writing and characteristics of each stage
- Explain the stage Zoey is currently at in detail and how you came to this conclusion
- Provide suggestions for how she can best support Zoey at her current stage and your rationale behind the supports chosen
Here are some prerequisites that will help you be successful in this course:
- The learner will demonstrate the ability to navigate the internet.
- The learner will demonstrate the ability to navigate an online Wiki course.
- The learner will demonstrate the ability to read text, watch videos, and listen for understanding.
- The learner will demonstrate the ability to apply newly acquired knowledge to multiple choice questions.
- The learner will demonstrate the ability to apply newly acquired knowledge in a written response.
- The learner will demonstrate the ability to write an instructional plan.
- The learner is intrinsically motivated to learn.
- The learner has a basic understanding that children go through developmental stages in all aspects of growth.
- The learner has a desire to understand the stages of emergent writing.
- The learner has a desire to help support and develop students in the stages of emergent writing.
Let's Get Started! Unit 1 - defining emergent writing
Go to my Homepage Lisa Martin
Go to my project Portfolio Page Lisa Martin's Portfolio