Trevor Barney: Reading Workshop in the Primary Grades
Reading Workshop in the Primary Grades
Preview: This mini-course will guide you through the reading workshop model, starting with analysis and research and ending with creation of a lesson plan and teaching of that plan.
- An understanding of the level of reading that is appropriate for primary grade students
- An ability to find sources for researching topics
- A class or group to teach a created lesson to (preferably children)
Curriculum Overview and Objectives:
- Unit 1: Reading Instruction Analysis
- Unit 2: Researching Reading Instruction
- Unit 3: Creating Reading Workshop Instruction
- Unit 4: Using the Reading Workshop Model
Click the link to see the mini-course overview and objectives attached to each lesson! File:Reading Workshop Curriculum Map.pdf
This course provides opportunities for discussion, chart and graph creation, short answer writing, and formation and presentation of a reading lesson plan. Please cite all resources used.
Essential Question: How can the workshop model be used in primary education as an effective form of instruction for teaching reading?
Start Unit 1 by clicking this link: Lesson 1 Analyzing Reading Lessons