Return to:ETAP 623 Spring 2014
Mini Course: SMART Board Technology and It's Application in the Classroom
Hello and welcome to my page. My name as indicated is Shree Parsan and I am a high school English teacher in Queens, NY. I have been teaching for a number of years and I have watched the climate and temperature of education change through out that time. The necessity to adapt and understand new pedagogical theories and practices was never more important than today's ever competitive educational landscape. I hope that through this course we can explore these changes together.
In my free time I am an avid reader and movie-goer, I have very much been a comic book enthusiast, I am an avid gamer, both video and out door sports, and I have been happily married for 7 years.
The course I will be developing, SMART Board Technology and It's Application in the Classroom, will specifically be focusing on tools and strategies used in the classroom when using a SMART board and the software that comes with it. These pieces of technology can greatly enhance the learning in a classroom by providing multiple entry points for students to engage the curriculum. The following questions will be answered in this course:
- What exactly is a SMART Board?
- How can I apply it to my classroom practices?
- How does it engage students in learning?
- How can it make my lessons interactive?
- What skills do I need to properly integrate a SMART Board into my classroom?
The intent of this course is to assist teachers in enhancing the pedagogical toolbox by implementing SMART Board technology into their classroom practices effectively. Learners will be able to:
- Identify SMART Board equipment
- Identify the tools available in SMART Board software
- Navigate SMART Board software
- Design activities that center around the SMART Board and utilize SMART Board software
- Integrate SMART Board usage into their classroom practice
1. Instructional Problem: More and more technology is becoming a staple of every classroom, regardless of subject. With this technology more and more teachers are having to integrate these tools into their already established educational framework. One tool that is most widely used is the SMART Board. On the surface it acts as any white board would, but with proper training teachers can use it as a tool to motivate and engage students. Understanding how to use a SMART Board and its software is a tool that in invaluable to the modern teacher.
2. What is to be Learned: Participants will learn how to effectively utilize the SMART board as a tool in their classroom and how to use the accompanying software to engage students.
3. The Learners: Participants are high school teachers of all subjects. These teachers have access to a SMART board in their classrooms and to the software on provided laptops. The experience that these teachers have with SMART board technology ranges from novice to advanced.
4. Instructional Context: The landscape of this instructional journey will take place solely online. The teacher will work their way through the website and practice and apply their new understandings of SMART board usage to their own classrooms.
5. Exploration of the Instructional Problem and Solution: When given a SMART board in their classroom, teachers are generally left on their own to explore the software and the media. With out guidance, most teachers use the basic tools and leave out the most engaging aspects of the technology.
6. Generate Goals: This course is designed so that the teacher can take away these tools and utilize then in their classroom. The ultimate goal is that the participant in this course implement and integrate advanced SMART board applications into their everyday teaching
Analysis of the Learner and Context
This mini-course is designed to target educators who are teaching all grades and all subjects. The use of SMART Board technology and software is applicable to all kinds of classrooms and subject areas. To participate in this course, teachers can have varying levels of understanding ranging from beginner to intermediate to advanced when it comes to SMART Board technology and software. The design of the course will allow uses to elevate and develop skills already attained.
The following performance objectives will outline the skills that the students will attain through active participation and completion of this course:
- As a result of completing this course in the usage and implementation of SMART Board technology, teachers will be able to identify all parts of a SMART Board.
- Teachers in the SMART Board mini course will be able to explain the purpose for all physical parts to a SMART Board
- As a result of completing this course in the usage and implementation of SMART Board technology, teachers will be able to utilize a minimum of three SMART Board applications located in the software.
- As a result of completing this course in the usage and implementation of SMART Board technology, teachers will be able to design two different activities utilizing SMART Board software.
- As a result of completing this course in the usage and implementation of SMART Board technology, teachers will be able to construct a full unit of a minimum of three lesson plans that all integrate SMART Board technology.
Our target objective for this course of for teachers who have the ability to access SMART board technology to be able to elevate their level of productivity in terms of utilizing and implementing the technology into their lessons. The teachers who will be utilizing this course will have a range of experiences with the technology, but will be able to raise their level of understanding to the next level. Ultimately we would like to see teachers create assignments, exercises, and lesson plans that utilize the multi-media and interactive aspects of SMART board technology.
Before the undertaking of this course, educators should have the following prerequisites:
- Participants will need a basic computer skills that are not limited to, but must include the following: typing, editing, Microsoft Power Point, Microsoft Word
- Participants will need access to a SMART Board and a computer that has been pre-loaded with SMART Board software
- Participants will need a basic knowledge of the instructional design such as: learning outcomes, student based educational design, modes of collaboration, and lesson planning
- Participants will need to know the basic forms and formats of media that can be applied to computers as well as how to edit these forms: video, audio, and still images
Please click the following link to view the curriculum map for this course:media:Parsan Curriculum Map.pdf
Organization and Content Sequencing
Going through this course, students will see that there is progressive nature to understanding how to utilize and implement SMART board technology into their education instruction. The following units will address this educational dilemma:
Unit 1 - SMART Board Hardware and Components
Learning Outcome: Students will be able to identify the physical components as well as the purposes of these components.
Materials: SMART Board Component List/Description
Activity: Students will map a visual diagram of components and identify the purpose of each one.
Unit 2: SMART Board and SMART Board Compatible Software
Learning Outcome: Students will be able to identify the tools available in SMART Board Software as well as navigate the software.
Materials: Computer, SMART Board, Compatible SMART Board Software
Activity: Students will take place in a software scavenger hunt in which they will navigate through the software menus to locate and identify the purposes of the software tools
Unit 3: Inserting Media into SMART Board Presentations
Learning Outcome: Students will design activities that center around the SMART Board and utilize SMART Board software as well as integrate SMART Board usage into their classroom practice
Materials: Computer, SMART Board, SMART Board Compatible Software, Compatible Media (videos, audio, images)
Activity: Students will design a lesson plan and activity that utilizes the forms of media appropriate for SMART Board usage.
Final Project: Students will take an existing lesson plan that has already been taught, and will implement SMART Board technology and software into the educational design of the lesson
References and Resources
Integrating Media into PowerPoint
PowerPoints Utilizing Meida
Basics of SMART Board Components and SMART Notebook Software