Lesson 1: Getting started with Class Dojo
Students will create and manage their Class Dojo Account and submit a screenshot of their "class" page to a wiki account (Motor skill).
To begin this course I would like to start out by setting up your Class Dojo Account. I will allow time for exploration of the site then we will move into setting up your classes and point systems. Before we set up an account I would like you to watch a video about Class Dojo. It is intended for students, but is very good at explaining what Class Dojo is and does. Once you click on the link below please scroll to the Student Introductory Video and click play:
Key Points from Video
- Makes behavior manageent more fun
- Students know what their expectations are.
- Easy access for students and parents to monitor behavior and progress.
- Students can create their own avatar.
After watching the video, please move onto Phase 1.
Phase 1- Setting up an account
- Please log onto the internet using your preferred browser.
- Once you have logged onto the internet go to: www.classdojo.com
- Upon arriving at the site you should see a window similar to this one:
- Please click on the "Teachers try it now" button. When the new window opens fill in the information requested and select how you plan to use the site. On this page you may also select a different language if you prefer.
- Once you have finished click the "Get started" button.
- This will bring you to a welcome page from which you can add classes and take a tour.
- Click the "Show me around" button and take the tour. Once you have completed the tour you may move on to Phase 2.
Phase 2- Exploration
Now that you have taken the tour and seen a few of the features, take some time to explore. *Explore the site on your own for five minutes or so using the demo class.
- Please look at the teacher resources. The presentation and training pack were helpful when I first started out. I have included the link here:
- Also, take a minute to look at the student page.
- When you are ready, please move onto Phase 3.
Phase 3- Set up class
I hope you enjoyed exploring the site! Now, let's set up your class(es).
- If you are not on your home page which looks like this:
Please get there now by clicking "back to classes" in the upper left hand of your screen.
- Once there click add a new class.
- On the new screen you should be able to select your grade level and subject then name your class. For example I selected grade 6 Math and named my class Mathematicians. Here you may switch your class icon as well by clicking on the image at the top.
- When you have settled on your picture click next (bottom right) to create your class
- The following screen will allow you to add students one by one or to copy and paste a list of students. You may chose which you use.
*If you chose to add each name: Enter the student's name then click enter to add the student to your list. * If you chose to add a whole list: Click the "Copy/Paste list" button then follow the directions there.
- Once you are finished adding students' names to this class and they appear with Avatars, you may chose to change the student avatars. Do not spend time changing the avatars. This is one of the great motivational pieces of Class Dojo, once students get their logins they are able to customize their own avatars.
- When you are finished click save and close.
- If you are using this site for more than one class, then take this time to set up the rest of your class lists. However, if you are not using more than one class please move on to Phase 4.
Phase 4- Set up points
Setting up points might not be necessary for everyone. There are already examples for types of points set up on the site. I found it useful to change icons and add or remove points for my class. This allowed me to have more time for other things throughout the day rather than searching through useless icons for the points I wanted to give.
You have two options for how to use the point system. On the Class Dojo website where the points are displayed there are positive points and negative points. You may chose to use both of these as ways to manage behaviors, but it may be more useful to use only the positive points. One purpose of using a behavior management system in the classroom is to limit the amount of time a teacher has to spend correcting behaviors. This system allows a teacher to simply give positive points to only those students who are in compliance with the rules.
- Here is a testimonial from a teacher who uses Class Dojo about using points:
"I rarely assign negative behavior points. My students know that if they earned a negative, it had to be a big deal. I found that positive points motivate my students and have a greater impact on their behavior. Students love getting "dojo" points! They love hearing the sound of a positive dojo, and dread the sound of a negative one. A positive or negative sound has everyone looking at the board and then getting back to work." (Mims, 2013)
This setting is ideal. You want Class Dojo to allow for correction of behavior and continued work.
- Let's get into the points section of the website. When you get to your homepage find the class you would like and click edit class.
- This will bring you to the class you selected and you should see the student avatars. At the top there are three tabs to choose from. Please choose the Customize behaviors tab.
- Here is where you can add/edit the behaviors you would like to use.
- There are six behaviors listed and a box to add more. If you would like to leave these the same then you can move onto the negative behaviors, if you plan to use them.
- To edit the existing behaviors click on the behavior and change the wording/photo.
Once you click on a behavior you may also delete the behavior.
- To add a behavior simply click the add your own box, enter a title, and a picture then save.
- When you have finished here please move onto the negative behaviors. Even though you may not use them often it might be nice to have a couple listed.
- If you have one class- Once you have completed and saved your behaviors you may move onto Phase 5.
- If you have more than one class- Once you have completed and saved your behaviors, return to your homepage and repeat the steps to customize behaviors.
If you would like to use the same behaviors from your first class in other classes, click on the "Import Behaviors" button and select the class from which you would like to import the behaviors.
Now you have successfully completed the points portion!! Please move onto Phase 5.
Phase 5- Assessment
Once you have completed all of the lesson's tasks please take a moment to upload a screen shot of your classes page.
- To get a screen shot click on the screen you would like to take a picture of, then hold down control and the PRTSC button.
- This button is usually located at the top right of your keyboard.
- Once you have taken the screen shot open up Paint in the accessories folder.
- Click Edit at the top and then Paste. Your screen should appear and you can save the picture.
- Here are examples of screen shots:
If you only have one class:
If you have more than one class:
- Finally, insert that picture in the class wiki page.
You successfully completed Lesson 1
Congratulations! You should now be very familiar with the Class Dojo website and be able to create classes and points. Please proceed to Lesson 2 to learn more about creating expectations and introducing Class Dojo.
Mims, L. (2013). Classroom behavior? there's an app for that.Edutopia.