Jian SRL 2
Part Two: Forethought/Planning
Learners will be able to Plan ahead their learning objectives in this course.
Small group setting: Form the groups (3-4 students in each group). Each group will have to come up with a guiding question that will be their semester project. They need to prepare a research proposal, as a group, explaining what the guiding question is, why they choose this question, what specific issues they want to deal with, how they reached the agreement, division of responsibilities, and the plan to carry it out. They also need to provide list of references. Their deliberation process will have to take place within a designated group hangout space in the LMS to document the collaboration process. Group meeting outside of LMS is allowed, but meeting minutes must be recorded and posted in LMS.
Find articles on the topic of "learning community" in Google Scholars. Choose an scholarly article that talks about learning community. Share your finding in the Forum. Post the PDF full article, the citation in APA format, and explain why you pick it. Repost is not acceptable. Check out what others have posted before submitting your own.
- A reflection journal: addressing the following issues in their reflective journal:
- How's the group's guiding question related to the learning objective he or she brought into the class, addressed in the Part One journal?
- If there's a discrepancy, how will he or she deal with it?
- the interaction within groups.
- Synthesis: Browsing through classmates' selections of articles on learning community, pick three (one of them is yours) and write up a brief synthesis about learning community.
Scaffolding tips for the instructor:
- This part should be placed in the module following the initial ice-breaking module. This part may be used for the small groups and for the individual student.
- Instructor should be proactively involved in going through each group's guiding question. The key is to make sure the question is open-ended, authentic, and engaging enough to drive a semester long effort.
- Instructor should also work closely with individual student, offering opportunity to consult with them on their own learning goals.