Embedding Video on Your Site
Click here to return to Integrating Technology into the Music Classroom
You have learned how to add images, calendars and links to your website. In this unit you will learn how to embed a video on your site and evaluate how well you have designed your site to meet your needs. Video can serve a variety of purposes on a music website. You can add videos of student musical performances, professional performances that students can watch as inspiration (like those seen on the high school band site), or record your own videos to use as teaching tools (like the recorder video I have on my teacher site). Can you think of any other applications for video on a music class or teacher website?
I recommend that whenever you go to a page outside of this mini course you open it in a new window. To open any page in a new window you need to right click on the link and select open in new window. By using a new window, you will be able to get back to this course without having to use the back button on your browser.
You can embed a YouTube video or a video you have on your computer. If you have a video on your computer that you want to embed on your website you will need to upload it to the internet first, following the instructions in this tutorial. Be sure that you allow your video to be embedded when chosing options for uploading. Then follow the steps below for embedding video on your site.
- Go to the page on your Google site that you want to have a video on and click "Edit page"
- Open a new window or another tab and go to the YouTube video you want to embed into your site
- Click "Share" below the video then click "embed" and follow the directions for copying the code, be sure to choose the size you want the video to be on your site
- Go back to your Google site, select the panel you want the video to appear in and click "Insert", "Video" and then "YouTube"
- Paste the embed code into the URL box, select your border and title choices and then click "Save"
Now that you have finished adding all the tools to your site, it is time to evaluate its usefulness in your classroom. Go back and reread "Making the Most of Your Class Website"Media:Making_the_Most_of_Your_Class_Website.pdf and the Top Ten list. In the discussion tab of this unit write a short post describing the ways you can use your website to enhance your teaching.