Xiyao Porfolio Page: Educational Use of Wiki
Please click link to Educational Use of Wikis Course
Educational Use of Wikis
1.INTRODUCTION 2.NEEDS ASSESSMENT 3.PERFORMANCE OUTCOMES 4.CURRICULUM MAP 5.REFERENCE AND RESOURCES
Many of us may be familiar with wikis starting from Wikipedia. As a software, a wiki provides an extremely fast and efficient way to collaborate and communicate knowledge among virtually anyone interested without the constraints of place or time. But as refer to technology, the so—called “ Productivity Paradox”, the conclusions on educational technologies and effectiveness are various. In this course, we will learn about some innovative applications of wikis in educational field, especially in supporting and improving students’ writing skills. The topics will be addressed as follows:
- what’s so good about wikis?
- How to edit a wikis page?
- The use of wikis in supporting writing instruction
- Some Challenges in using wikis for writing and some concerns
Learners will be able to know how to edit a wikis page
- Learners will be shown a video on editing wiki pages
- Learners will learn the quotes of formatting of a wiki page. Some skills of editing the wikis page will be discussed.
Learners will be able to know how to use wikis pages to guide students to have discussion and revision about writing
- Learners will learn how to set up a space as the group discussion about writing
- Learners can put some useful links in the wikis pages so that students can get some more information.
- Learners can invite students to post their ideas about writing topics in the wikis pages
- Post writing topics for students in the writing class on the wiki page of the class, the learners could require students to post their writings on their wikis pages.
- After students all post their work, learners could invite them to review and comment on each other's work, and set up the discussion atmosphere on the wiki pages.
- Students can edit their peers' work in the wikis pages, then the teachers can guide students to see the history of change of their writing by other students or anybody else, at the same time, give some ideas about the edition.
Learners will be able to experience the essence of teach, which is not to teach students to learn hand by hand, but guide them to learn by themselves
- The process of revision students' writing work is a process in which students learn from each other and improve themselves.
Organization and Content Sequence
Please click the link to see the curriculum map File:Curriculum map-c.doc
- Kussmaul, C., Howe, S., Priest, S.: Using wikis to foster team communication, cohesion, and collaboration. J.C.S.C. 21(6), 66–
- Utilizing Wiki-Systems in higher education classes: a chance for universal access? Univ Access Inf Soc (2008) 7:199–207 DOI 10.1007/s10209-008-0115-2
- Slavin, R.E.: Cooperative Learning. Theory, Research, and Practice. Allyn and Bacon, Boston (1995)
Boyer, E.L.: Campus Life: In Search of Community, The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, San Francisco (1990)
- Wagner C. “Wiki: A Technology for Conversational Knowledge Management and Group Collaboration,” Communication of the Association for Information Systems (13), 2004, pp. 265-289.
- Owen, M.,Grant, L., Sayers, S.&Facer, K. (2006) Opening education: social software and learning. Bristol: Futurelab. Retrieved November 20, 2006 from
- Jonassen, D. H., Peck, K. L., and Wilson, B. G. (1999). Learning with technology: A constructivist perspective. New York: Prentice Hall.
- Guzdial, M., Rick, J., & Kehoe, C. (2001). Beyond adoption to invertion: Teacher-created collaborative activities in higher education. The Journal of the Learning Sciences, 10(3), 265-279.
- Boulos, M. K., Maramba, I. &Wheeler, S. (2006)Wikis, blogs and podcasts: a new generation of web-based tools for virtual collaborative clinical practice and education. BMC Medical Education,6, 4. Retrieved June 16, 2007, from []
Please visit my new project KNILT INDEX