Unit Three: Social Media in other Classrooms
1. Participants will be shown various real examples of social media use in a classroom
- Actual social media accounts
- "Fake" social media template websites
- "Fake" social media paper templates
2. Participants will view rubrics that accompanied the social media site projects to see examples of student understanding and comprehension of material
3. Participants will being to think about how they will use social media
Examine Social Media Classroom Examples
Using real student social media accounts
"Fake" Social Media Website Templates
"Fake" Social Media Paper Templates
Real Student Work Examples
Please review these real student work examples. Students were asked to create a "fake" social media site for a person living during colonial times. Here are several examples of student social media site creations.
A sample Twitter Post
These are just a few examples. The students were graded using the following rubric:
After viewing all these examples begin to brainstorm on how you could use social media in you own classroom.
Please write a brief discussion post (200 words) on how you could use any of these examples in your own classroom. Also discuss which ones would be the easiest to use and the most difficult to use and why.
Please submit your post in the Unit 3 forum on Google Groups
Please comment on at least one other participants discussion post.
You may move on to Unit 4 after you have:
- added your discussion post about how you could use social media in your own classroom
- responded or commented on another participants' discussion post
- received a comment from either myself or another participant
arotolo. (2011, Feb 5). Social Media in the Classroom - Professor Anthony Rotolo, Syracuse University ISchool [Video File]. YouTube. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1szz0KRzh0
Fractus Learning. (2016, Jan 9). Creative Lessons with Fake Texts, Tweets, Facebook Pages and More. Fractus Media. Retrieved from https://www.fractuslearning.com/2015/07/02/get-creative-fake-texts-tweets-facebook-pages/
Teachhub. (2013, May 8). Katie McKnight Podcast Series #4: Social Networking in Classrooms for Teaching & Learning [Video File]. YouTube Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvsBgjCQvFc
waterlooschools. (2012, Nov 6). Social Media and Technology in the Classroom [Video File]. YouTube. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaYIvdv4jFs