Unit 3: Self Management Support
- Develop an understanding of the behavioral characteristics of ASD by evaluating several videos and articles.
- Evaluate self management strategies for students with ASD by assessing the purpose and procedure for such a plan.
- Assess the many reasons for particular behaviors in students with ASD by evaluating several assessment tools and their function.
The following video is of Peggy Halliday who is a board certified behavior analyst with a specialization in Autism. She is speaking about some of the many behavioral issues associated with ASD. While watching these videos think about the following questions:
- List some examples of behaviors associated with ASD
- What are the behavioral similarities and differences between typical students and those with ASD?
- What types of perseverations might students with ASD exhibit?
- Why do you think students with ASD have routines and rituals?
Behavioral Chracteristics of Autism Video (Halliday 2009)
References are available on design project main page: Students with ASD: Developing Socialization and Self-Management Skills