Unit 2 Lesson 2
Return to: Mini-course Home Page
Objective: Employee will be able to practice how to perform basic operations in their day to day work. They will use a simulated environment to test their digital skills based on the initial technical competency test they took. Actions will be recorded into a video file and sent to the course instructor for feedback upon completion. Tasks are completely constructively with no instructor interference whatsoever. However, instructors are available for only brief questions lasting no longer than a minute to ensure participants find their way around systems. Employee is encouraged to refer to digital literacy course for assistance in completing certain tasks. Link to digital literacy course here. Employees will have access to a discussion forum where they can help each other to complete tasks. Course instructor will facilitate tasks as needed.
- In the username bar on the screen, type admin
- In the password space on the screen, type admin
- Hit the Enter key on the keyboard or click the arrow.
- Wait for about 10 seconds till your computer desktop appears
After successfully logging on to the desktop, follow the instructions below to connect the computer to a network
We are going to focus on the taskbar in the lower bottom of the screen, if you need a refresher on what a taskbar is, refer to the technical competency at this link.
- On the right side of the taskbar, look for a wireless icon with an asterisk on it.
- Click on the icon. Upon clicking you will see a list of wireless networks, select one with the name “PSB2-Guest” and enter the password “Pas$w0rd1” to connect to the network.
- If you successfully connected to the network, you will see a wireless icon colored in white without an asterisk This should indicate that you have successfully connected to the network and subsequently, the internet.
- On the search bar, type the word “outlook”. After typing that you should see an icon like this with the name “Outlook” written by the side. Double click on the icon to start the MS Outlook program
- After starting the application, you will see a popup window asking you to enter you email address and password. For the email address type this: firstname.lastname@example.org. For the password type this Pas$w0rd1.
- Click login to logon to your email.
After you have successfully logged on to your email, you will receive an introductory email indicating your success up to this point. In this tutorial you will learn how to print the email document.
To Print the document, complete the following steps:
- Open the email by clicking on it.
- On the upper-left corner of the screen, click File.
- Click Print on the left pane, to Print your email.
- After the email has been printed, hand over the note to your course instructor to indicate completion of the task.
In one or two paragraphs, write a reflection of your experience so far.
What was your experience when performing this hands-on project? Were the instructions clear enough to understand the required tasks? Did you have any questions? How did the skills gained in the technical competency tests help you complete tasks in this lesson? Explain.
Return to: Unit 2 - Lesson 1
Go to: Unit 3 - Lesson 1
Free image on pixabay - email marketing, online marketing. (n.d.). Retrieved May 10, 2019, from https://pixabay.com/illustrations/email-marketing-online-marketing-2362038/
Free image on pixabay - login, computer, laptop, log on. (n.d.). Retrieved May 11, 2019, from https://pixabay.com/illustrations/login-computer-laptop-log-on-3187888/