Difference between revisions of "Unit 2: Constructing Online Discussion Activities"
|Line 31:||Line 31:|
[[Image:.]] '''Unit 2 E-LectureConstructing Online Discussion Activities'''
Latest revision as of 21:46, 14 May 2008
Upon completion of this unit, participants will:
1. Understand design principles, strategies, and best practices to consider in the development of discussion activities.
2. Review technologies used in distance learning to create discussion activities.
1. Group Discussion Activity 1:
For this Unit, we are dividing into four groups of six. Each group is assigned an article/web site to discuss in depth. After one week, post a synthesis response to the whole-class discussion in Angel. Please focus your discussions on design principles, strategies, and best practices to consider in the development of your own course discussion activities.
- Group 1: Taking Discussion Online .
- Group 2: Generating and Facilitating Engaging and Effective Online Discussions, Blackboard 6.0. .
- Group 3: Crafting Questions for Online Discussions, Penn State University: 
- Group 4: Reiss, D. et al. (1996) Ten Tips for Generating Engaged Online Discussions: Electronic Communication Across the Curriculum (ECAC). .
2. Group Discussion Activity 2:
Maintaining the same groups assigned in the assignment above, research the technologies used in distance learning to create discussion activities. Provide the class with an example of the technology you have chosen, and an example of how you will implement it.
Unit 2 E-Lecture Constructing Online Discussion Activities
1. Considering the two GROUP activities that took place during this unit, and going back to Unit 1, identify ways in which our learning community is developing in the smaller groups. Post your reflection journal to the Angel course page. Now, considering the class discussions on design principles, strategies, and best practices in creating your discussion activities, what technologies will you employ in your course? Why? Post your reflection journal to the Angel course page.
Let's move on to Unit 3: Assessment and Evaluation.
Join the Discussion Forum for workshop participants: User talk:Anne Canale Stalnecker
Facilitating Effective Online Discourse Home Page