Unit 1: What is Growth Mindset?
In this unit, we will be talking about the term Growth Mindset. At the end we will have a discussion on the ways we have promoted and acted on the Growth Mindset mentality in our own lives. After, there will be a personal reflection of what you would like to get out of this course.
Below are two videos on what the definition of Growth Mindset means. One is geared toward elementary students and the other video can be used for students in secondary and higher education. Choose the video that is most suitable for your students.
In this video, Mojo loved school; especially math. As the math problems got harder, Mojo began to struggle. Mojo felt that he wasn't smart anymore and tried to quit school. His friend Kate comes to the rescue and gives him the talk he needs.
Secondary Students and Beyond:
In this video, Carol Dweck gives a talk about the power of YET. She discusses ways to develop and nurture a growth mindset within ourselves and our students in and out of the classroom
After viewing one of the videos, I would like you to break your class into groups of three or four people. Below are some questions they can use during their conversation about the video:
1. What was the video about?
2. What would you have said to Mojo if he came to you about quitting school? Explain why you would say that.
3. What do you think the purpose of this video is?
On a piece of paper, please answer the following questions. You will keep these answers until the end of the mini course. You will compare your thought process from now and how it may have changed after your completed the mini course.
Class Dojo Video
1. Can anyone become smarter? How?
2. Was there ever a time where you wanted to give up? When?
Carol Dweck Video
1. Do you agree that constant reward and praise can have a negative impact on people? Why or Why not?
2. Describe a time in your life where you felt "not good enough"? What happened? What made you feel that way?