Unit 1: Lesson One
Your first client meeting?
Teachers use video for a variety of reasons. "Video can breathe meaning and life into nearly any lesson" (Sparked, 2010).
With the use of video, teachers can:
- Provide a common experience for all students
- Generate interest and stimulate imagination
- Offer a different perspective on or another approach to a topic
- Demonstrate abstract ideas
- Stimulate the development of critical thinking skills
- Equalize educational opportunities
- Promote critical viewing skills and media awareness
- Provide visual representation to further understanding
Lesson One Tasks
- Read: Using Educational Video in the Classroom: Theory, Research and Practice by Emily Cruse, M.Ed. For this lesson please focus on the following sections in the reading: The Overview, How does Video Promote Learning?, Motivation and Effective Learning, and How is video best used in the classroom?
- Watch: Utilizing Streamed and Stored Video in the Classroom
- Report to the Camtasia Class Discussion Page. Under Unit 1: Lesson One, list some advantages of using video in the classroom that you feel most important and share with classmates one way you think you can personally use video to improve instruction.
Proceed to Unit 1: Lesson Two