Understanding and Integrating Age Appropriate Mindfulness Activities
Hello! How many of you have heard the new educational buzzword mindfulness and have wanted to learn more? This mini-course will teach you how mindfulness can change your classroom environment. We will look at what mindfulness is, how YOU can benefit from practice, and age appropriate mindfulness activities for you classroom.
By the end of this course learners will be able to answer the following questions...
1. What is mindfulness and what are the benefits?
2. How can I practice mindfulness?
3. What are age appropriate mindfulness activities that I can use in my classroom?
The goal is to give you the confidence to use mindfulness in your classroom so that you can create a better learning environment. The course is organized in 3 units which are outlined below. By completing all three units you will be able to start using mindfulness in your classroom and figure out what the mindfulness buzz is all about.
- 1.1 Watch videos to define mindfulness
- 1.2 Reflect on the science of how mindfulness changes the brain and then interpret the benefits
- 1.3 Define mindfulness and the benefits for the brain
- 2.1 Read an article and gain exposure to mindfulness practices
- 2.2 Develop and document mindfulness practice
- 3.1 Review material elementary mindfulness activities
- 3.2 Review material middle school mindfulness activities
- 3.3 Review material for high school mindfulness activities
- 3.4 Create two age appropriate mindfulness activities within their education discipline.
Semple, R. J., Droutman, V., & Reid, B. A. (2017). Mindfulness goes to school: Things learned (so far) from research and real‐world experiences. Psychology in the Schools, 54(1), 29-52.