Technology Tools for the Classroom
Overview and Purpose
This course will focus on the importance of educational technology in the classroom. The Covid-19 pandemic forced a shift to remote learning. Educators had to quickly adapt to this shift and adopt new technologies to ensure student learning. These technology tools and shifts in increased technology still exist now post-pandemic. As we know, technology is constantly evolving, and it is important to stay up to date and take advantage of these advancements by implementing technology in our classrooms. This course will highlight some and illustrate the importance of integrating technology tools in all aspects of learning. Knowledge of these technology tools that are present both in and out of school should be accepted and embraced by teachers, students, and parents to ensure student success.
Instructional Problem: Technology has grown tremendously over the years. It is everywhere nowadays, and students are exposed to technology both inside and outside of the classroom. It is important for us to take advantage of this use of technology in our schools and education system. Remote instruction during the pandemic caused a frenzy for both educators and students. Both were introduced to the wide array of technology tools made specifically for education. Educators used to a traditional way of schooling, had to catch up with modern times in schooling to ensure an education for their students.
The nature of what is to be learned: Participants will learn about digital technology and ways to implement technology in the classroom. Participants will understand the importance and benefits of integrating technology in all aspects of learning/all content areas.
Participants: The participants will be educators in grades K-12, looking for ways to increase their knowledge of technology integration.
Instructional Content: Participants will complete an entrance ticket and activate their prior knowledge and understanding of digital technology. Objectives and activities will be outlined in every unit. Participants will engage in videos and articles pertaining to each unit. There will be check-ins at the end of each unit. Each of these units will help build on the culminating project in which participants will create their own Teacher Toolbox.
Explore instructional problem/solution: Participants may be in educational settings with differing contexts, demographics, and curricula. Participants will learn how to adapt the use of technology to best meet the needs of their students.
Goals: This course aims to enhance educators' confidence in the use of technology in their classrooms. Thus, teaching students to develop an acceptance of technology in their learning. Participants will have the opportunity to explore different tools that can be used in their classroom. The creation of the Teacher Toolbox will help house all technology tools explored in this course. Participants will practice using these educational tools, so they can implement them in their classrooms.
After completing this course, participants will be able to...
- Define educational technology and its importance in the classroom.
- Explain the benefits of digital collaboration in the classroom.
- Recognize the benefits of digital formative and summative assessments.
- Construct a teacher toolbox.
- Create a lesson plan implementing a technology tool of choice.
This mini-course includes the following units. Click the title of a unit to go to its page.
Unit 1: Introduction to Education Technology and Creation of Teacher Toolbox
- Participants will be able to define educational technology and its importance in the classroom.
- Participants will be able to explain the importance of educational technology.
- Participants will be able to describe the benefits of educational technology.
- Participants will be able to construct the first slide of their Teacher Toolbox.
Unit 2: Online Collaboration: Bulletin Board Tools
- Participants will be able to recognize the need for collaboration in the classroom.
- Participants will be able to identify situations where educational tools support collaborative learning.
- Participants will be able to explore the digit Bulletin Board tools:
- Participants will create a discussion board using a tool learned in this unit.
- Participants will be able to construct the second and third slides of their Teacher Toolbox.
Unit 3: Assessment Tools
- Participants will be able to recognize the benefits of digital formative and summative assessments.
- Participants will be able to contrast the pros and cons of two assessment tools of choice.
- Participants will be able to construct slides 5 and 6 of their Teacher Toolbox.
Unit 4: Culminating Toolbox and Lesson Plan
- Participants will be able to create a Google Slides Presentation that highlights technology tools that can be implemented in the classroom.
- Participants will construct and implement a lesson using a technology tool included in their Teacher Toolbox.
- Participants will analyze their learning of technology implementation and technology tools to complete the Course Reflection.
Course references and resources are cited at the bottom of each unit.