- Adams, M. J., Foorman, B. R., Lundberg, I., & Beeler, T. (1998). Phonemic awareness in young children. Maryland: Brookes Publishing.
- Armbruster,B.B., Lehr,F., & Osborn,J. (CIERA & NIFL 2003). Put reading first; the research building blocks of reading instruction (2nd ed.). Retrieved April 18, 2008 from http://www.nifl.gov/partnershipforreading/publications/PFRbooklet.pdf
- Berg, M. & Stegelman, T. (2003). The critical role of phological and phonemic awareness in reading success: a model for early literacy in rural schools. Rural Special Education Quarterly, 22, 47-54.
- Bursuck, W. D., SMith, T., Munk, D., Damer, M., Mehlig, L., & Perry, J. (2004). Evaluating the impact of a prevention model of reading on children who are at risk. Remedial and Special Education, 25, 303-313.
- Castiglioni-Spalten, M. L., & Ehri, L. C. (2003). Phonemic awareness instruction: contribution of articulatory segmentation to novice beginners' reading and spelling. Scientific Studies of Reading, 7, 25-52.
- Cunningham,J.W., Cunningham,P.M., Hoffman,J.V. & Yopp,H.K. (1998). Phonemic awareness and the teaching of reading;a position statement from the board of directors of the International Reading Association. Delaware: International Reading Association. Retrieved February 28, 2008 from http://www.reading.org/
- Groff, P. (2001). Teaching phonics: letter-to-phoneme, phoneme-to-letter, or both? Reading and Writing Quarterly, 17, 291-306
- Hindson, B., Byrne, B., Fielding-Barnsley, R., Newman, C., Hine, D.W., & Shankweiler, D. (2005). Assessment and early instruction of preschool children at risk for reading disability. Journal of Educational Psychology, 97, 687-704.
- National Reading Panel (2000). Teaching children to read: an evidence based assessment of the scientific research literature on reading and its implications for reading instruction. Retrieved March 28, 2008, from http://www.nichd.nih.gov/publications/nrp/smallbook.cfm
- New York State Education Department website at http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/
- Santi, K.L., Menchetti, B.M., & Edwards, B.J. (2004). A comparison of eight kindergarten phonemic awareness programs based on empirically validated instructional principles. Remedial and Special Education, 25, 189-196.
- Snowling, M.J., Muter, V., & Carroll, J. (2007). Children at family risk of dyslexia: a follow-up in early adolescence. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 48, 609-618.
- Wood, F. B., Hill, D. F., Meyer, M. S. & Flowers, D. L. (2005). Predictive assessment of reading. Annals of Dyslexia, 55, 193-216.