Course Title – Using Microsoft Movie Maker as an Instructional Tool
The intent of this project is help show how Movie Maker could be used as an instructional tool to engage students and enhance instruction. .
Needs Assessment/Learner Analysis
Current technology is not being utilized in the classroom. There are many technologies available that would both enhance instruction and engage students. Using these technologies would allow the students to create, collaborate, and have fun. These technologies are also Green in that they cut down on the use of paper and have the ability to save school districts thousands of dollars each year. However many teachers fail to utilyze these technologies for a number of reasons.
I conducted my research by surveying the teachers at my school. The teachers surveyed ranged in age from 62 to 24 and teach grade levels ranging from 5th to 12th grade. In this field no teachers had used Movie Maker or any similar technology to enhance instruction. Of the 58 teachers surveyed only 12 use technology in student centered intstruction. Most of the teachers who reported to use technology use it as a means to enhance direct instruction.
Top 3 Reasons Why Teachers Fail to Use Technology:
- They do not know how to use it
- It takes up too much class time
- They area afraid to let the students be responsilbe for their own learning
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Create a movie using Mocrisoft Movie Maker software
- Design a student centered lesson using Microsoft Movie Maker as an instruction tool.
- Delevlope rubrics that will faciliate student learning and assess student work.
- Accees to a Windows computer with MS Moviemaker software
- Basic keyboard and typing skills
- Basic Windows/Microsoft software experience
- Access to video/image/sound clips
- Participants will be able to use MS Movie Maker to integrate technology into the classroom and engage students at a higher level
- Participants will be able to teach their students how to create their own movies
- Participants will be able to assess learning by using technologically based lessons
Unit 1: Creating a Movie with Microsoft Movie Maker
- Participants will be able to open a new movie file
- Participants will be able to learn basic Movie Maker functions (importing video, images, sound)
- Participants will be able to add textual information to thier movies
Unit 2: Designing a Lesson That Uses Microsoft Movie Maker
- Participants will be able to facilitate student centered learning by teaching their students MS Movie Maker basics
- Participants will be able to design lesson objectives and directions for classroom use
- Participants will be able to create a checklist of lesson components for students to follow
Unit 3: Creating a Rubric That will Assess Learning
- Participants will be able to create a rubric that will assess desired learning goals
- Participants will be able to design student assessed rubrics for classroom presentations