Currently teaching Spanish levels 1 & 3 at Alexander Central Schools in Alexander, NY. Pursuing my Master's Degree in Curriculum Design and Instructional Technology. I am a person who has a big heart for others and wants to see all of my students succeed and enjoy the learning process.
Outside of school I cherish quality time spent with my friends, family, and my Siberian Husky, Nova. Walking and hiking are two of my favorite things to do. I am an aspiring Adirondack 46er and amateur rock climber, but I also thoroughly enjoy board games, card games, and a good tv show.
My Topic and Purpose
The intent of this mini-course is to teach participants how to create safe and healthy classroom environments that respect diversity. This course will focus on respect of diversity as a means of creating safe and healthy classroom environments.
The participant will be able to define diversity. The participant will be able to design instruction that promotes and respects diversity. The participant will be able to create classroom procedure that respect diversity. The participant will be able to create the conditions for all learners to feel safe and respected in the classroom.
1. Intent: Every classroom is diverse. Some schools may have more diverse learner populations than others, but it is important for all participants to understand what diversity is, how it can affect the learner, and what they as the participant can do to create a healthy and safe classroom environment that respects diversity. It is my theory that many participants are aware of diversity but may be overwhelmed with all of the other demands of education that they are uncertain as to how they can respect diversity in their classroom and create an environment where the learners are also respectful of the diversity in the classroom.
2. Gathering Information: In order to better understand the need for a guide to create safe and healthy classroom environments that respect diversity I will read articles regarding diversity in schools. Through my reading, I will determine a general understanding of the topic of diversity and gain a better understanding of what this course can do to encourage and equip teachers to create safe and healthy classroom environments that respect diversity.
4: Revised Intent:
Analysis of the Learner and Context
- The participants will measure the level of diversity of their group of learners.
- The participants will critique their classroom environment at present in relation to respect of diversity.
- The participants will integrate culturally inclusive and responsive practices with their current practices.
As a result of participating in this mini-course, participants will gain an understanding of the role of diversity in the classroom and how cultivating a respect of diversity contributes to a more safe and healthy classroom environment, resulting in the ability to create a safe and healthy classroom environment that respects diversity.
Upon completion of this course participants will be able to:
- Bulleted list item
I will map out the sequence of learning units and activities to achieve the defined objectives here.