Lesson 4.1: What role do media craft techniques play in digital writing?
- To identify and analyze craft techniques in digital writing.
Activate Prior Knowledge
Take a closer look at this chart from Crafting Digital Writing by Troy Hicks, thinking about the role of author's craft in digital writing.
Questions for Reflection:
- Do you specifically teach students how to use these techniques?
- Is it worth it to spend time teaching these techniques? Why or why not?
- How could learning about, analyzing, and using these techniques develop critical thinking skills and creativity in our students? How could they enhance the content we teach?
This Digital Writing 101 Blog features a selection of student digital writing samples. Choose one to examine closely with author's craft in mind:
- What do you think of this style of digital writing?
- Which techniques from the chart above were used in the example you looked at?
- What deliberate craft choices did the creator have to make, and how do those choices enhance the meaning of the piece?
Deepen Your Understanding
Now that you have completed lesson 1, revisit your understanding of the learning target. Consider what new understandings you now have, and develop your initial understandings based on the lesson materials.
What author's craft techniques are unique to digital writing? Why is it important to teach students how to analyze digital writing techniques and attend to media craft in their own digital writing?
References and Resources
Hicks, T. (2013). Crafting digital writing: Composing texts across media and genres. Heinemann.