Lesson 3.4: Wikis
- To determine the features and purposes of wikis.
- To identify ways of using wikis in the classroom.
Activate Prior Knowledge
Below are some links to real fan wikis. Spend some time exploring the wikis, then reflect on these questions:
- What is the purpose of a wiki?
- How do wikis establish community around a topic?
- What wikis can you imagine your students creating based on their passions?
- If your students write information texts and literary analysis, could they create a collaborative wiki about a book, TV series, video game, movie, or something else they are interested in?
Safety is always an important consideration when using internet platforms for digital creation. Students could easily create a wiki using Google Sites. Common Sense Media is a great place to find reviews of Ed Tech tools.
Read this article to learn about how to use wikis in your classroom: https://educationaltechnology.net/wikis-in-education/
Deepen Your Understanding
Now that you have completed lesson 4, revisit your understanding of the learning target. Consider what new understandings you now have, and develop your initial understandings based on the lesson materials.
What are you thinking now about how you might use wikis in your classroom? How could students use wikis to collaboratively produce narrative, information, and/or argument writing?