Lesson 2: The Impacts of Google Classroom
The learner will study the overall impacts of Google Classroom on teachers and students, and how this positively influences their academic experiences.
Before You Begin
Watch the following video: Previewing a new Classroom by Google
This clip highlights some of the experiences of teachers and students using Google Classroom.
Reflect on the following questions below.
- Can you relate to any of these teachers?
- How are you trying to maximize the time of your classes?
- What kind of stresses do you have when it comes to teaching?
Impacts Google Classroom has on Teachers
When it comes to education, teachers are our sources of knowledge. Teachers are certified in certain subject areas so they can bring students the most accurate information about different areas of knowledge. Teachers need all the time they can get in order to cover all the necessary topics in a school year. With time lines, grading periods, planning time, and extra required duties, teachers are often working many extra hours to complete their daily tasks. Now, what better way to help teachers out then to make something a little bit easier for them! Google Classroom is just the right tool, especially for busy teachers. Google Classroom has many features that specifically impact the teacher. Here are just a few:
- Easy to use: It provides very clear directives and provides many help options if needed
- Accessible from many devices: Not only can Google Classroom be accessed through a computer, but it can also be used on a tablet or mobile device.
- Paperless: There is no more need to rush to the copier anymore. All the assignments and documents needed can all be uploaded straight to Google Classroom.
- Fast grading and feedback: Checking who has submitted work or who is still working on an assignment is simple. A teacher can also give instant feedback.
- An organization tool: Instead of having piles of papers on a desk or filing cabinets full of worksheets, Google Classroom keeps everything saved in one space that does't take up any room in a classroom.
Impacts Google Classroom has on Students
Google Classroom has provided an innovative way for students to learn with the use of technology. The students of this digital generation live their daily lives through technology. Why not incorporate what they know in to their learning? Google Classroom provides a very important feature for students, which is the organization. Students can access everything for their class right at their fingertips with their technology device. This is designed to help keep students organized and also eliminates the risk of losing worksheets or homework assignments. Students can join their class by expecting the invite or entering a class code given by their teacher. Once the student is in the class, they can start a conversation, ask questions to the class, or communicate privately with the teacher. All of these tasks will update in real time. This means the teacher can also see how far along a student is on a Google Classroom assignment at the same time the student is working. Students then choose to submit their assignments when completed and they also have the ability to attach anything extra to that assignment. For example, a student can upload an image, attach a Google Doc, or share a file (Google for Education). Google Classroom definitely provides many other benefits that may impact the students, but these features specifically impact student performance, student progress, and student engagement.
Here is a short tutorial of Google Classroom from the student perspective. As a teacher, this can also be informative so that you understand how it works from your students' view of things. This tutorial can also be a great tool to share with your students so they can use it as a guide or visual when signing in to your Google Classroom. [Google Classroom Student Intro]
Impacts Google Classroom has on School Environment
"Rapidly evolving technology has not only fundamentally changed the way in which we live, work and communicate, but also revolutionized the education system."
Once you have complete Lesson 2, move on to Lesson 3: Creating a Google Classroom.
Lesson 2: The Impacts of Google Classroom
Pappas, C. (2015). Google Classroom Review: Pros And Cons Of Using Google Classroom In eLearning. Retrieved from https://elearningindustry.com/google-classroom-review-pros-and-cons-of-using-google-classroom-in-elearning.