Lesson 2.1: Graphing Calculator Skills
- Understand how to use the TI 84 plus graphing calculator.
Overview: In my experience, students who struggle with Algebra are usually familiar with how to use the graphing calculator to complete basic computations and graph an equation to view the image. Students are often unaware as to how useful the graphing calculator is when solving algebra problems including analyzing graphs and tables, calculating statistics, writing equations, or just simply checking their answers. The calculator can be an extremely useful tool when students forget how to solve algebra problems by hand or just want to verify answers to avoid mistakes. This lesson will provide multiple tutorials on how to use the graphing calculator more thoroughly than its basic features. Later in this mini course, you will explore how to apply these graphing calculator skills to Common Core Algebra 1 Exam Questions.
Complete the following 7 exercises using the graphing calculator as instructed in the specified tutorial.
The following tutorials walk you through graphing calculator skills that can be used in different ways to solve the majority of the Common Core Algebra 1 Exam:
1. Basic Graphing - Graph the equation y = 2x + 3
2. Graphing Inequalities - Graph the system y > x + 4 and y < -1/2x - 2
3. Calculating Statistics - Calculate the Mean, Median, Q1, and Q3 for the data list (4, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 20)
4. Writing Equations - Write the equation for the line that passes through the points (-2,-5) and (4,3)
5. Check Equations - True or False: (2x2 + 5x - 3) - (-x2 + 2 x - 10) is equivalent to 3x2 + 3x + 13
6. Evaluate Expressions - If f(x) = x2 - 9x + 11, Find f(8)
7. Factoring Quadratic Equations - Find the roots of the function f(x) = x2 - 2x - 15
Next Lesson: Lesson 2.2: Problem Solving
Previous Lesson: Lesson 1.2: Goal Setting
Back to Mini Course: Teaching Problem Solving in Algebra using the Graphing Calculator
"Streets and Traffic." Emaze Presentations. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 May 2016.
"Search Results for “calculator”." NGMN Graph RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 May 2016.
"Using the Graphing Calculator - Table of Contents." Using the Graphing Calculator - Table of Contents. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 May 2016.