Jason Chwirut's Portfolio Page
STATEMENT OF INTENT
Camtasia Studio: The Power of Screen Capture
This is a professional development course that introduces the Camtasia software and informs learners about the advantages video beholds.
Topics which will be covered:
- The purpose of Camtasia Studio and what does it do?
- How to use the software
- How does the use of Camtasia enhance instruction?
By the end of the course, students will be able to not only create their own movie but understand the advantages of using video in the classroom.
The Instructional Problem
What can we do to help promote better knowledge transfer?
The nature of what is to be learned
Faculty and staff will learn advantages of incorporating the use of video into classroom instruction by being introduced to a screen capture program known as Camtasia Studio.
About the learners
The learners for this course primarily consist of faculty and staff whom have an interest in using video to enhance instruction. This is a beginner class, therefore prior knowledge of Camtasia Studio is minimal. Technology experience, however ranges from individual to individual. A quick assessment will be given at the beginning of class to determine the technical level of each student. These are professional level learners which will be given a designated amount of time to experiment on their own throughout the class duration.
The Teaching and Learning Center on campus provides the faculty and staff with an up-to-date learning classroom with individual workstations. This will be the primary setting for this class. Each computer work station will have the Camtasia software and full access to the Internet. The instructor workstation will have projection capability so individuals in the class can be instructed with visual aid.
- What is a screen capture and why do we use them?
- How do we make one?
- Can we edit a screen capture?
- How do we produce a video so we can use it in our classroom?
- Is there instructional value?
- To provide faculty and staff with a new method of presenting information
- To reach a basic level of understanding to the Camtasia software and what it has to offer
Upon completion of this course learners will be able to:
- Understand the significance of video and how it can be used to improve classroom instruction
- Produce a video with Camtasia Studio
- Understand how to effectively incorporate the use of video into presentations
Purpose of this course:
In it's most basic sense, this course is designed to introduce faculty to a new way of presenting information. The course will also describe the importance of video and how screen captures can be used to facilitate understanding.
- Basic understanding of computer operations
- Not only will students need an internet access, learners must have a basic knowledge of how to use it