Integrating Google Classroom in the Classroom
Designed by Ryann Conlan
Overview and Purpose
Google Classroom is a free web-based platform that was introduced for schools that work to simplify creating, distributing, and grading assignments. This blended platform saves time and paper! It allows teachers to create classes, distribute assignments, communicate to students, and grade assignments all while staying organized and eco-friendly. This feature was introduce two years ago and continues to grow in interest. Some fear the idea of change, especially with new technology, so this mini-course will provide simple step-by-step instructions on how this platform works. After completing this course, educators will be able to create their own Google Classroom experience.
"Google Classroom is your mission control for class. Create classes, distribute assignments, send feedback, and see everything in one place. Instant. Paperless. Easy." -Google for Education
Educators will learn how to create a classroom, add their students, and create their first assignment for their class to see. This will allow the teacher to see who has completed the assignment and who is still working on it. Educators will also learn how to educate their students on using Google Classroom.
One goal of this course is to help educators explore a new innovative way to run their classes. The second goal is for educators to actually incorporate this method of technology in to their classes and create “classrooms.” The third goal is to train the educators how to properly educate their students on how to use the classroom.
Participants will be able to:
- Explain what exactly Google Classroom is.
- Describe how Google Classroom can be used within their own classes.
- Understand how Google Classroom enhances student/teacher communication and involvement
- Create a personalized Google Classroom to utilize for their own classes.
This mini-course includes the following lessons. Click the title of a lesson to go to its page.
- The learner will define Google Classroom (prerequisite)
- The learner will identify the benefits of using Google Classroom (prerequisite)
- The learner will view a video on the feature of Google Classroom
- The learner will reflect on the content of the video
- The learner will watch a video of others' experience with Google Classroom
- The learner will read about the impacts Google Classroom has on teachers
- The learner will read about the impacts Google Classroom has on students
- The learner will view a video about the impacts Google Classroom has made world-wide
- The learner will complete the Lesson 2 assessment
- The learner will identify valuable resources of help
- The learner will create their own Google Classroom
- The learner will personalize their Google Classroom
- The learner will create a second Google Classroom specific to this course
- The learner will share their Class Code to a Google Doc
- Catapano, J. Technology in the Classroom: A Look at Google Classroom. Retrieved from http://www.teachhub.com/technology-classroom-look-google-classroom.
- Classroom features and benefits. (n.d.). Retrieved December 09, 2016, from https://support.google.com/edu/classroom/answer/6376881.
- Google for Education: Save time and stay connected. Retrieved from https://www.google.com/edu/products/productivity-tools/classroom/.
- Lan, L., Worch, E., Zhou, Y., & Aguiton, R. (2015). How and Why Digital Generation Teachers Use Technology in the Classroom: An Explanatory Sequential Mixed Methods Study. International Journal For The Scholarship Of Teaching & Learning, 9(2), 1-9.
- Logofatu, B., Visan, A., & Ungureanu, C. (2015). Google Classroom - The New Educational Challenge. Pilot Test Within the Department For Distance Learning. Learning & Software For Education, (2), 493-499. doi:10.12753/2066-026x-15-166.
- O'Connell, A. (2016). GETTING SCHOOLED. Fast Company, (209), 31-34.
- Pappas, C. (2015). Google Classroom Review: Pros And Cons Of Using Google Classroom In eLearning. Retrieved from https://elearningindustry.com/google-classroom-review-pros-and-cons-of-using-google-classroom-in-elearning.