HyunJu Yoo- Portfolio
Translation as a Method of Language Teaching
"...students do. and always will, translate into their LI, no matter how often we exhort them not to"
- Atkinson (in Harbord. 1992)
Intent of Project
This lesson plan will show ESL teachers What is Translation (Study), Why it is a useful teaching method, and How to integrate translation into curriculum.
Topics that will be covered:
- History of Translation
- History of Translation Studies
- History of ELT Method
- Approaches to Translation
- Translation Method
- ♦Assessment Items♦
- Vocabulary Translation
- Grammar Translation
- Sentence Translation
There are some arguments against using translation teaching in class room. However, unlike these opinions, the translation can be an effective teaching method. Surely, it should be well organized, prepared, and assessed. We will see how to apply this teaching method to the actual language learning.
The Nature of What is to Learned:
Students will learn the process of the translation from L1 to L2 and L2 to L1 and reflect how to learn language using the translation.
About the Learners:
Participants are English language learners from middle school to high school. Based on the context, it can be used for the college students who are ELLs and for those who like to learn languages using the translation.
This mini-course will give an overview of the benefits of the translation as language teaching method. In addition, , students will be able to learn English language (L2) and their first language (L1) in light of reading comprehension, grammar, and editing skill. Moreover, students will learn how to use this learning method in their self-study.
Learners will be able to
- Identify the definition and the history of Translation Studies.
- Identify the benefits from using translation in language class.
- Identify the workflow of the translating.
- Identify the method to integrate translation into language learning.
- Bassnett-Mcguire, S., (1991). Translation Studies. Revised ed. England & USA: Routledge.
- Campbell, S., (1998). Translation into the second language. 1st ed. United States of America: Longman.
- Cook, G., (2010). Translation in Language Teaching. 1st ed. Spain: Oxford University Press.