Donna Kiesel portfolio
Donna Kiesel's teaching experience began when she was a supervisor at the American Red Cross Blood Program in Chicago, where she arranged in-house training of staff. Later, with the US Peace Corps in Cameroon Africa she taught at an agriculture college, conducted teacher training at the college, and became a trainer and Director of training for incoming Peace Corps volunteers. She continued her teaching in Nepal for 3 years, working at an agriculture school there, where she designed curriculum, wrote study guides, authored farm manuals, developed a program for teacher training. After becoming a Naturopathic Physician while living in Germany for 8 years, Donna and her husband Eckhart and 2 children, Max and Andre moved to Chatham, New York. Currently Donna is in the Masters Public Health Program at UAlbany, also pursuing a Graduate Certificate in Curriculum Development and Online Teaching. Having a lot of experience teaching medical doctors, nurses and other health care professionals about Homeopathic Medicine.
Professional Adult Learners Online
Intent of This Project on Adult Learning
This course explores issues and suggested strategies for teaching professional courses online.
Contemplate these questions:
- Who are the students?
- What are the tasks that they need to perform by the end of the course?
- What skills and supplies, software and equipment do they need to take the course?
- What is the difference between online instruction and live teaching in a classroom?
- What are the distinguishing features of online instruction that compliment classroom courses?
- How can a curriculum be designed to make the most of an online learning environment for professional adult learners?
Learning Outcomes for This Mini-Course
Learners will be able to:
- describe the features of student communication that are indicative of their individual learning style
- define a list of tasks and objectives that lead to completion of the learning goals of the course
- compose a course syllabus with instructions students need for their success in an online learning environment
- distinguish the differences between the strengths and weaknesses of live classroom and online learning
- develop an integrated classroom-online curriculum for a professional training program
- design a course evaluation strategy and do the first review