Difference between revisions of "Donna Kiesel portfolio"
|Line 66:||Line 66:|
=== [[Lesson One]] ===
=== [[Lesson One ]] ===
=== [[Lesson Two]]===
=== [[Lesson Two]]===
=== [[Lesson Three ]]===
=== [[Lesson Three ]]===
Revision as of 20:43, 2 April 2014
Donna Kiesel's teaching experience began when she was a supervisor at the American Red Cross Blood Program in Chicago, where she arranged in-house training of staff. Later, with the US Peace Corps in Cameroon Africa she taught at an agriculture college, conducted teacher training at the college, and became a trainer and Director of training for incoming Peace Corps volunteers. She continued her teaching in Nepal for 3 years, working at an agriculture school there, where she designed curriculum, wrote study guides, authored farm manuals, developed a program for teacher training. After becoming a Naturopathic Physician while living in Germany for 8 years, Donna and her husband Eckhart and 2 children, Max and Andre moved to Chatham, New York. Currently Donna is in the Masters Public Health Program at UAlbany, also pursuing a Graduate Certificate in Curriculum Development and Online Teaching.
Donna also has a lot of experience teaching medical doctors, nurses and other health care professionals about Homeopathic Medicine.This mini course will look at the strategies for instructional design applied to teaching to professional degree students a course of Homeopathy . Medical training is a professional training so these students are not accustomed to an academic course which has philosophy, theories, and research.
Professional Adult Learners Online
Intellect: problem-solving; discriminate concepts; principles Cognitive: meta-cognition; strategies for problem solving and thinking Verbal: Facts of knowledge Attitude: Appreciation; sensitivity; intention; reaction Motor: Behavioral physical skills
This course explores issues and suggested strategies for teaching professional courses online.There are many things to consider when designing an instructional strategy to achieve both the program goals and also provide the most enriching leaning experience. The difference between meeting standards of a professional training and the standards of online teaching are two different subjects that come together in the program design. This mini course walks the reader through the steps of what to consider for the educational process, then looks at the format for professional training content, organized within that instructional design.
Contemplate these questions:
- Who are the students? What kind of learners are they?
- What are the tasks that they need to perform by the end of the course?
- What skills and supplies, software and equipment do they need to take the course?
- What is the difference between online instruction and live teaching in a classroom?
- What are the distinguishing features of online instruction that compliment classroom courses?
- How can a curriculum be designed to make the most of an online learning environment for professional adult learners?
Learning Outcomes: By the end of this course .......learners will have developed cognitive strategies, intellectual skills and motor skills to use when teaching professional courses to adult students through the use of technology. For example, learners will be able to determine what activities are best for their students' skill level, demonstrate an understanding of what programs are out there for their students to use, and be able to use appropriate forms of technology and/or programs in their classroom or lessons with the students to help them better understand the concepts being taught.
Adult professionals want useful skills. In general they do not want to 'waste their time'on coursework that is orrelavent to their personal develop, professional enrichment, or lifestyle improvement. Adult students are contemplative and have a broader range of experience when they are learning new material. They tend to 'travel' with the information.....
1. Instructional Problem Adult learning and professional course design in an online learning environment
2. What is to be Learned? Educators will learn how to enhance student learning through the use of technology by ......
3. Who are the Learners Learners will include current educators .........teaching.......these educators will have familiarity with using the internet, iPads, and technology in general. They must be aware that the this course focuses on the design of the curriculum that can be plugged into current applications and computer programs that are available for online instruction as well as for any applications or software programs that change over time.
4. What is the Context for Instruction Learners participating in this mini-course will learn the context solely online. Delivery of this information will require the use of a computer, internet, iPad, so that you can download programs to get familiar with them.
5. How to identify the Instructional Problems and design Solutions Educators taking this course will explore different technology using music and be able to determine what will work for them in their specific teaching setting. Participants in this mini-course will engage in activities through different programs that will allow them to determine what will be better fitting to their own student's musical needs.
6. Goals of this Mini-Course One goal of this course is to design a curriculum that meets the standards of a professional training program that is administered online, integrating the most advanced techniques in online instructional design
Create, Evaluate, Appraise, Analyze, Understand, Remember By the end of this course learners will be able to:
- describe the features of student communication that are indicative of their individual learning style
- define a list of tasks and objectives that lead to completion of the learning goals of the course
- compose a course syllabus with instructions students need for their success in an online learning environment
- explain the strengths and weaknesses of live classroom learning
- explain the strengths and weaknesses of online instructional design
- develop an integrated classroom-online curriculum for a professional training program